Waste pipe advice for shower and basin please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm currently installing a new shower and basin. The drain pipe to the stack will be 2" (55mm) pipe which currently has a fall of 35mm over a 2.8 metre run with one swept bend an two 45 degree bends. Should I raise up the shower even further to increase the fall on the drain (is the minimum fall 18mm per metre?). Also is there a maximum height the shower can be from the floor before a step is required? To get the correct fall the shower tray will be approx. 180-200mm from the finished floor level.

Also is it okay to run the basin waste into the shower waste as long as I use an anti-syphon inline basin trap?

Sponsored Links
keep the shower tray as low as poss :idea: Nothing worse than a step into a shower :evil: 2 inch waste from it is good - providing you can get a deep seal shower trap , that gives access from the top to the pipework for cleaning . Tee in the basin if you have to - fit a Hep V O waste valve on the basin , better run separate if poss. Basically if you`ve got a shallow fall on the shower waste , 2 inch will be better , and cleaning access thru trap is a must ;) Worst case scenario then is you have to put a sani snake down the shower waste occasionally.Do make sure the waste is adequately supported along it`s length - or it`ll eventually sag

Thank you for the advice, I'll use the 2 inch pipe as planned and keep the height of the shower tray as low as possible. I should be able to get a fall of 60mm over the 3 metre run and the shower tray will be approx. 170mm high.

I will install a HepVO waste on the basin as well :)

Thanks again for your help and advice

The pipes for hot/cold and waste for the pedestal basin, do they need to be supported within the pedestal?[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the advice, I'll use the 2 inch pipe as planned and keep the height of the shower tray as low as possible. I should be able to get a fall of 60mm over the 3 metre run and the shower tray will be approx. 170mm high.

The pipes for hot/cold and waste for the pedestal basin, do they need to be supported within the pedestal?
[/quote]

No need to support the waste behind the ped no. The hot and colds may need it depending on where they come from. If you're in a new build with speedfit sticking out the floor behind the ped, it'll want clipping somehow. If its copper (particularly if they're coming out of the wall half way up the ped) they wont need it at all.

Are you using solvent weld pipe, especially for your shower tray?

The pipes for hot/cold and waste for the pedestal basin, do they need to be supported within the pedestal?

No need to support the waste behind the ped no. The hot and colds may need it depending on where they come from. If you're in a new build with speedfit sticking out the floor behind the ped, it'll want clipping somehow. If its copper (particularly if they're coming out of the wall half way up the ped) they wont need it at all.

Are you using solvent weld pipe, especially for your shower tray?[/quote]

Hi

Yes will be using Solent weld pipe and swept bends etc. for waste (shower & basin).

Basin pipes are copper at the moment, so was going to re-position them using copper pipe and tectite push fit fittings onto the flexi tails coming from basin mixer tap.

Was thinking of using chrome pipe and fittings, so it looks better. Are these the same to use as copper? Or is there any issues to consider?

Thank you for your help :)

you can't use chrome pipe & push fit fittings the grip rings won't hold on the plating

Tectite push fit are ok to use with chrome pipe but not plastic push fit e.g. speedfit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back