Waste pipe plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi plumbers! Hopefully someone can give me some advice here. Basically, can I do away with this?
View media item 23220
This is behind the bog in my bathroom. As you can (hopefully) see, the waste pipe goes out to the right, underneath floor level, but there is this 'riser' coming upwards, with the bog plumbed in to it just above floor level. All this is boxed in at the moment, but when I redo my bathroom I would like to get rid of this boxed-in arrangement.

What is the purpose of this 'riser' or 'stack'? Is it for inspection/rodding? Is it required? Does it have to be so high? If it needs to stay, could I get away with having it a bit lower, so I could just box it in say up to cistern height?

I hope this makes sense, all replies are appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
Thats your durgo valve. Its your vent so the stack doesn't have to go all the way up to above your roof. It needs to be higher than your highest waste level like your basin. Chances are that is the height which it is currently at.

Thanks Neds. I should add that this is a flat - the soil stack for the block is outside on the wall and does go right up to the roof level. Do I still need this? Is it needed because there's a fair run of nearly level pipe to the main stack?

I'm guessing the answer is 'yes', so I'm going to have to do some creative carpentry... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Just done some reading up on these things (gooooooooogle's great int it!) and I guess I'm stuck with it. I should be able to move it, right? If I can move it in to the corner of the room I might be able to get away with just boxing in to the side of the cistern and not have to do it all the way along the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back