Waste pipes through joists.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible/allowed to drill a joist to run 40mm pipe through. The joists in question are about 8 inch by 2 inch. I would imagine that some form of steel plate reinforcement would be required. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It may be possible, but holes should only be within 'permitted zones', and spaced away from any other existing holes or notches.
Have a look at
http://www.zurich.co.uk/NR/rdonlyre...-0C6B2CD53EED/0/NotchingDrilling107780A02.pdf for example.

You will probably need at least a 50mm hole to get a 40mm bore pipe in comfortably, especially if you need clearance to feed the pipe in at an angle from above the floor. If you've more than one joist to drill you may get trouble getting a fall on the waste, as holes should all be on the centre lines of the joists.
If you don't get the fall (1 in 40 recommended) the waste may be prone to blockages under the floor where you can't get at it. :(

I thought about doing this myself, but ended up putting the waste against the wall, and boxing round it with a piece of skirting board packed out with a 2 1/2" batten at the top.

apologies for taking so long to reply.advice noted and project re-thunk. thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back