waste water pipe, lenght and fall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I am moving my kitchen... It will be in the front of the flat rather than at the back with all the pipes..
Question is, beside from a pumping system, how can I do with waste water if i think that it is going to be difficult to get the slope (1 inch every 40 feet, right?) for the pipe to get at the back of the house (approximately 4 meters from kitchen to outside waste water pipe).
Wider pipes seems to be part of the answer. What about going through the floor with the pipes to get more slope? (these two rooms are on the 1st floor, and underneath them there is a driveway, not another rooms).

The drain in front of the house is for rain water only and the council will not be happy if i connect to it me think... (what's the worst that can happen to me?)

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
tostaky said:
(1 inch every 40 feet, right?)
No. You're probably thinking of 1 in 40, which would mean 1" in 40", or 1' in 40', or 1 metre in 40 metres.

The drain in front of the house is for rain water only

Don't do it.

The worst thing that will happen is that demon's from the Hallowed grounds of Thames water will come and dig your eyes out with rusty nails and insert them switfly up your firmanent whilst your neighbours look on and mock you for being foolish enough to run grey water into the rain drains.

Next silly question?

The 1 in 40 is one foot in 40 feet, or 25mm per metre, not one inch in 40 feet.
Your 4 metre run will need to fall 100mm.

If your floor joists run the right way, you may be able to find space in the floor void (assuming wooden floors). Design in rodding access to save tears later on if it does get blocked.

Running through the driveway underneath opens another can of worms ( ownership, access, fireproofing, clearances etc. etc.).

Connecting to a gutter downpipe is a definite no no as this waste is untreated. There have been some hefty fines for polluting watercourses etc. for those that have tried it.

Erecting a new soil stack may be an option, but subject to planning permission / building control.

Sponsored Links
ah ah ah ... sorry about the confusion, I'm french so i dont understand anything about feet and inche etc..

tickly T - thanks for that . yes, my joist run the right way underneath the floor. it is always difficult to know with builders whether the solution they propose is the most cost-effective or if they tell you something so they can charge you more... How do i measure the height (or depth) of my floor so i can do the math myself and cross check with what the builders say? (since i know the lenght...). good point on designing for blockage. thanks!

dan Robinson - Yep, well I assumed something bad would happen to me, but i thought it would come from the council! Actually, builders told me to do that because i wouldnt have nough slope in my floor to connect to the back of the property... Cross-checking the info, not a silly thing to do when one knows nothing about building work....

Dan_Robinson said:
The drain in front of the house is for rain water only

Don't do it.

The worst thing that will happen is that demon's from the Hallowed grounds of Thames water will come and dig your eyes out with rusty nails and insert them switfly up your firmanent whilst your neighbours look on and mock you for being foolish enough to run grey water into the rain drains.

Failing that they may prosecute you, as may the Environment Agency for breach of discharge consent etc...

tostaky said:
So I am moving my kitchen... It will be in the front of the flat rather than at the back with all the pipes..
Question is, beside from a pumping system, how can I do with waste water if i think that it is going to be difficult to get the slope (approximately 4 meters from kitchen to outside waste water pipe).
Wider pipes seems to be part of the answer.

Thanks!!
2.5 degree slope and 50mm pipe ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back