water above hardcore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my garden falls towards my house, ive built a retaining wall 5 course high and levelled it out. Im now in the process of doing a new patio area. I have dug down 150mm and started to clear the soil and put down hardcore, i intend to lay slabs on sharp sand and cement. But I Came down this morning after a heavy fall of rain and the water is laying above the hardcore. I can get rid of the rain water by diging a a deeper hole somewhere or by bucketing out but im worried that when dry and i lay slabs will after a few months the water get underneath and push them up??

Sponsored Links
Sort the drainage out, if it didn't push the up they would be weakened in their fixtures being flooded then being walked on/ flood/walk/flood....

And the way the weather is going every year, you gotta take note.

water will not push slabs up. i assume you had already plated the hardcore? when MOT type 1 is plated its relatively impervious to water because the surface is so tight so water tends to just sit there.

You need to remove surface water and let it dry out a bit. if you haven;t already compacted it then you need to let it dry out before doing that or it will turn into a swamp.

In summary- if its plated already just brush off the excess and let it dry out for a day.

If it hasn't been plated you need to wait for a couple of dry days in a row.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back