Water butt connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, hoping someone can help me with a basic water butt question.
I have a down pipe, I have a water butt. I want to fit a downpipe connector - one of those ones with an auto-diverter. Seems simple enough but...the butt is 5m or so away from the downpipe, plus to get a pipe from the downpipe connector over to the butt would involve going over a walkway which means the connecting pipe would have to go higher than the downpipe connection.
I am not sure how the auto-diverter mechanism works but I expect it need back pressure from the (full) water butt to operate - ie. the downpipe connector and water butt input point must be the same height?
Burying the connector, assuming that would even work, is not an option.
I have been pondering the problem for some time and the best I can come up with is to jack up my water butt such that the downpipe connector point, connecting pipe and butt input all all at the same level. This would mean the water butt being another 18-24" higher than it is now, already on a base.
Anyone got a better idea? Sorry if I am missing something blatantly obvious here!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Not that blatantly obvious! No room for the but near the downpipe, hence the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back