Water coming from underside of shower unit when on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed that there is water coming from underneath the electric shower unit and running down the wall when the shower is turned on.
Took the front cover off, can't see any obvious cause?
Is it dangerous.....how quickly do i need to get an electrician?
Help?

Aqualisa 10.5 Electric Shower.

Sponsored Links
Has the Pressure Relief Valve triggered?

Is the water coming out of a small pipe?

Or is there a leak from a pipe joint?

Took the front cover off, can't see any obvious cause?
There will be a leak somewhere.

Has it always done this? Did anything happen to make it start?

Is it dangerous
It's not good. Is it on an RCD?

how quickly do i need to get an electrician?
A water leak is a plumbing problem, not an electrical one.

But it's almost certainly not worth paying for someone to come out and start fiddling with it. Phone round and see what people say but if you can't find and fix the fault yourself it could be cheaper to replace the shower.

Does not appear to be any leaks in the joints.
How exactly would I recognise that the pressure relief valve has triggered?
If thats what it is, how do I go about un-triggering it/fixing it?

Sponsored Links
Try running the shower without the shower head connected to the hose. If the head has got scaled up it causes a reduction in flow and an increase in pressure which may cause the prv to operate.

If you've not got the instructions for the shower have a look on http://www.showerdoc.com/

If the leak is big, and no water comes out of the head and this started happening suddenly it's probably the PRD. It's meant to do that when the outlet gets blocked so that i doesn't boil in the heater can. Can't be reset, but usually easy to replace, and not expensive.

Something caused it though - a blocked head, kinked hose etc - you need to find the cause and fix it before replacing the PRD.

Try running the shower without the shower head connected to the hose. If the head has got scaled up it causes a reduction in flow and an increase in pressure which may cause the prv to operate.
It's a one-shot device. Once it's operated that's it.

As the shower will not be under operational pressure without the unit being turned on and the solenoid letting water by, it would be difficult to nail down the reason for the leak without operating the shower with the front panel off.
As you have the potential hazard of water and electrical contact, you must be very careful whilst doing this.
Could be something simple like a loose nut, securing clip, worn seal or could be something a little more complexed like a safety device being operated or jammed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back