water damage to mdf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6 years back I had a new kitchen fitted and the architect recommended spraypainted MDF splashback and doors for the units. These worked well because I had irregular sized cabinets and the doors could be made up to size and then sprayed.

Only problem is the MDF isn't waterproof and over the years small amounts of water have got in through small cuts and the MDF has blown out in places and the spraypaint fallen away. This has happened at the bottom of several doors and at the bottom of the splashback.

I am wondering now if this is repairable. I have thought of shaving away some of the MDF and treating with a wood hardener, then sanding down and painting it. It won't be a totally elegant solution, but might be better than I have now.

Does anyone know if this would work, or have other suggestions? Would wood hardener work well enough to allow sanding?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome Martin440 :D :D :D

sorry they need replacing
you can try and patch up but it will look like a bad repair what ever you do

your best bet is car body filler (easy sanding) It'll do all sorts of tricks re patching.

thanks for posts
joe-90: so would you sugest hacking out a section and replacing with filler then?

Sponsored Links
You can do all sorts of stuff like that or where your paint is missing you can fill the scar with a thin coat. It's amazing what you can do with it with a bit of practice. Obviously with MDF you don't want to ruck up the surface by sanding with big grit papers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back