water dripping from vent pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when the water is being heated ,hot water is dripping from the vent pipe into the expansion tank,no water is being produced when rads are being heated.the tank does not overflow .the only reason i noticed is that the tank is above my bedroom and i`ve not noticed it before.is this normal or is there a problem ?thanks

wall mounted baxi fan flued gas boiler

Sponsored Links
It's quite common but it should not be happening.
Can you turn your pump down?

i turned it down to number 2 yesterday but i`ve not had time to listen to whether or not its cured the problem.do you think somethings restricting the flow around the hot water circuit and causing a back pressure forcing water up the vent pipe,thanks

Thats usually the problem as the vent is teed of the flow to the coil.
With the heating on the head of water does not build up to the same level.
However usually the pumping over is more of a flow than dripping.

Are your radiators heating up OK? Cooler spots at the bottom would indicate some sludging up of the system.

How high is the highest point of the vent pipe above the water level in the feeder tank?

Sponsored Links
the pipes are teed onto the feed from the boiler in the following ascending order,1-vent pipe ,2-cold water feed from header tank,then comes the pump and three port valve.

the water has stopped dripping from the vent pipe since i`ve turned the pump down.

the rads are warming up ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back