Water Feature Pumps - What LPH do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I in the process of planning out a new garden, including water feature. The plan is to have a 2-3 ft Slate Monolith suspended over a raised pebble covered pool. All plans are in place, but I don't know what size pump I should be looking for.

I don't want anything thats going to cause the water to 'jet' from the top of the slate, but want a good noticeable flow down the sides of it.

At the moment I'm thinking 1500 LPH - your thoughts and experiences please...

Sponsored Links
mr_simonward said:
Hi, I in the process of planning out a new garden, including water feature. The plan is to have a 2-3 ft Slate Monolith suspended over a raised pebble covered pool. All plans are in place, but I don't know what size pump I should be looking for.

I don't want anything thats going to cause the water to 'jet' from the top of the slate, but want a good noticeable flow down the sides of it.

At the moment I'm thinking 1500 LPH - your thoughts and experiences please...

Flow rate is not as important as head.

in a nut shell.

you can get a filter pump that will pump say 1500lph, but as its a filter pump it may only be able to pump up to say 2 feet this is becuse filter pumps have a low head pressure.

you want a fountain or feature pump that can pump up to at least 3 feet

you may also want to read this

To pump a decent amount of water out of a three foot high monolith go for a pump with a two metre head because at three feet you will only get about half the rate at which the pump is rated. A pump with a three foot heat will not lift any water to 3 and a half feet. A pump rated at 4000 lph at water level will lift about 2000lph at three feet high. Have a large diameter exit from the top of the stone for the water and you should not have any jetting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back