Water Hammer after boiler Upgrade.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

My Dad has recently had his old Hot water storage tank and heating boiler upgraded to a combi boiler. ( I think this was called a regular boiler system)

After the boiler was installed we noticed a lot of loud water hammer noise, so loud in fact that when someone was in the bath, they could feel the pipe banging as though it was hitting the bottom of the bath tub. After speaking with the installer we attributed the water hammer to the fact that the installer had fully opened the main stop cock when it was not fully opened before.

The water Hammer would occur mainly only down stairs when the washing machine would fill up and when I open and closed the cold tap quickly.

After some further investigation and after closing the stop cock slightly
and then re testing, we can now no longer hear water hammer.

My first question is, was this the correct thing to do.

Secondly I have read that Worcester Bosch recommends installing a min exp vessel on the MCW which will aid in preventing water hammer, but this seems to be only recommended if you are on a water meter, which my dad is not.
Would you still recommend installing a mini exp vessel anyway for good measure or was slightly closing the stop cock, the right thing to do. Or would you also recommend replacing the stop cock as well with a lever ball valve.

Kind regards

Mr Jones

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yeah I know that. Never had water hammer with the old system was this because of header tank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back