Water Hammer - Going Insane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please help!

I live in a house which is 104 years old and as such have a shared lead water feed with next door. In my house, since I have moved in I have always had a knocking sound when a tap is suddenly turned. Its never really bothered me though and hasnt been loud.

Next door have just had an extension and a saniflo toilet installed. I now get really bad water hammer when my neighbours use the saniflo OR there upstairs toilet, which I never used to hear. I have spoken with the builder (I use the term builder loosely, I was horrified at the workmanship) who says nothing is different and he has only changed taps after the isolation valves etc. It must be different coz there was no downstairs toilet before!

The bang in my house is on the main cold pipe. I have clipped it in the riser, clipped it under the floorboards upstairs put insulating foam round the pipes where it is close to another object but still cant see what its hitting. Could it be the water hitting a right angle bend? (the bend is at the top of the main riser - under my bedroom floor!) or, I think its coming from my stop tap as I can feel this tick when the bang happens. I have repacked the Gland nut? with ptfe tape (the gas stuff as its thicker) and its made no difference, but, depending on the postion of the spindle on the tap (so closing or opening iit by quater of a turn) really reduces the water hammer noise for a short time.

If my assessments above are right I have 2 options. 1, change the stop tap... but if I turn it off in the street I will turn off next door as well. Am I allowed to do this and I assume it shouldnt cause problems to their internal pipe works? 2, As part of the united utilites scheme, get my own feed into the mains and cut next door out of the equation all together.

Is my train of thought here correct? I renevated my house and would do a lot of plumbing work myself, but... I dont want to do it for next door as this could lead to lots of problems.

Any help would be really really appreciated!!

Thanks

Wazz

Sponsored Links
if the toilet etc is from storage it could be the ballcock on the attic tank when it shuts.

Hi
The easiest and cheapest option would be to fit a water hammer arrester. This is a small expansion vessel which is fitted just after your stop cock and available from a good plumbers merchants or online.
Steve

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Is a hammer arrester big... I dont have a lot of space under the floor boards... I assume that the arrester has to be installed on a horizontal pipe run?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back