Water Heating advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Current setup is 30l unvented water heating cylinder the customer is complaining they are getting a massive electric bill as heater is continuously on this feeds a a kitchen sink and bathroom sink hot water only.
I have suggested the use of a timer on cylinder to reduce bills, customer has requested zip hydro tap, however i said that would also be costly to use ?
He told me he is getting bills of around £200 - £300 per month

What are you using out there to provide hot water where there is no gas supply and also how cost effective or should i just add timer to existing setup ?

Sponsored Links
Only 2 sinks? no shower or bath? If that's the case maybe instant water heaters would be better suited.

a 3kw heater staying on 24/7 would produce bills of around 300 a month. Is it insulated lol

Sponsored Links
well I think he may have another cause for his leccy bill unless he uses the taps you mention almost all the time 24 hours a day

well the cylinder stays on 24 hours a days the taps are not used continuously

Maybe so but it's got a thermostat so it only draws power when it's heating up, not all the time

It must have a thermostat so shouldn't be drawing 3 kw for most of the time.

A 30l tank would go from cold to hot in about 30 minutes, at a cost of about 15p. Then the thermostat will turn it off.

This year I am paying about 10p per kWh for my electricity, so a 3kW heater can cost 30p per hour, if you insist on leaving the hot tap running all day.

There is some other reason for his high bills.

You say he has no gas.

I wonder how he heats his home and his bathwater.

However the amount he pays per month can be influenced by previous under- or over-payments, estimated meter readings, and averaging. Only the actual meter-readings are useful.

I understand there is thermostat inside tank, the house is heated using electric wall heaters.

I will look at placing an owl energy monitor to see what is taking the drain of electric.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back