Water in expansion vessel and lots of air in system I think

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the course of some DIY I have had to take off a couple of radiators. Having refitted them I have of course added a load of air to the system. Tried to bleed radiators and pressure has now dropped to zero. Also let air from expansion vessel and think there may well be water in there now. Since doing this I have found out from this site about filling loops. However it is not obvious where to inject new water - can I use a drain off point on the CH loop. Should I take off expansion vessel to empty it first, add new water to the system, bleed rads again, then balance system. Is that the correct order of things or have I missed out steps also?

Been a bit of a berk but would appreciate some advice, Ta

Sponsored Links
You let air out of the expansion vessel... hahaha

Sorry, what I mean to say, is that there is supposed to be air in there, so it can absorb the expansion of the water.

I'm not sure if you can refill the EV (with air), of whether you will need to replace the EV altogether.

As for the filling loop, I think you should leave it to the pro's, before your boiler starts burning water instead of gas.

Or if you're determined, get or buy a filling hose, and there should be two valves on your pipework under the boiler, you attach the hose across these valves and open them, and fill until your boiler gets up to about 1bar.

Please excuse my humour also, I am only joking.

Search for filling loops and expansion vessels on this forum, there are lots of posts dealing with setting up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back