Water is not hot enough.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new power shower with a pump in the garage and a two dial on/off and temp in the shower. The pipes run a fair distance around the house/garage to get to the shower room extension. The problem i have is the water is not quite hot enough. I have pressed the anti scald button to turn the dial fully round and it is warm but could do with being a bit warmer.
I wondered if the cold was overpowering the hot as it is a higher pressure feed into the pump so i tried turning the stop valve 1 turn less but it seems to have made no difference ( not sure if this was a good idea ?)
The pipes are not lagged in the garage ( i will before winter )but as it is still mild i can't believe the temperature is dropping that much.
Any suggestions welcome.

Mike

Sponsored Links
have you got a single impellor pump on the hot and cold from the mains? if so you could be correct in the overpowering suggestion.

I wondered if the cold was overpowering the hot as it is a higher pressure feed into the pump so i tried turning the stop valve 1 turn less but it seems to have made no difference ( not sure if this was a good idea ?)
Mike

It reads like the cold is from the mains, if it is thats your problem.

You can only pump stored water, its illeagle to pump mains in the UK.

The hot and cold were tapped off a seperate cloakroom sink/toilet feed so i assume it is not mains fed but not sure how i woud check with the pipes not visible now. Would turning off the mains tap tell me as i assume it will still feed from the tank if it was tank fed until it emptied.

Should i try turniong the cold stop cock further if it's not mains fed or could i cause pump damage ?

Mike

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem (no pump involved though), i replaced my hot water cylinder with a mains pressure one and had fitted a gate valve on the cold feed to limit the hot flow rate with the theory it would stop people using up all the hot water too quickly.

what i discovered though was that my shower temp control needed to be up to nearly max to get a really toasty shower. Cracking open the gate valve further menat I could get a hotter shower more easily.

I assumed this to be due to my thermostatic mixer not being able to handle an imbalance in the flow rates.

I may be reading it wrong but it sounds like opening up the cold flow more solved your issue. I would have thought i need to turn the cold to a more restrictive position to balance the flow and hopefully get a hotter shower. I may try turning the mains cold off just to eliminate the mains feed issue stated before and check it is just draining the cold tank.

If that's ok then i could try turning the cold feed to the pump down further but i am still nervous of this in case it damages the new pump.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back