Water leak into Crawl Space,leak sorted,now what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A pipe joint came apart (output from kitchen sink, dishwasher, washing machine) so for quite some time the water has been going into the crawl space (not sure how long).

We'd noticed a smell and assumed it was clogged drains, used the usual drain cleaner, then today did some detective work.

So into the crawl space I crawl and there's quite a bit of standing water (concrete floor) so I got some cat litter (a lot) and put that down which seems to have absorbed the standing water.

The crawlspace is vented but I'm concerned about what to do next. To what extent do I need to take action now?

Do I need to remove the damp cat litter?
Do I need to get a dehumidifier down there or will the vents take care of things (especially if I give them a clear out!)?

Just worried about damp, mould and mildew...house has always been lovely and dry.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Remove cat litter, ensure area is dry, sprinkle a little jeyes fluid( or similar)leave for a couple of days, check for smells.

Sponsored Links
A wet and dry vac will suck out the water, as well as the rubbish. Remove all organic material, such as bits of wood, as it will rot.

Clean it up, make sure all the airbricks are clear and there is good airflow to take away the damp air. It will take quite a while for the damp concrete to become reasonably dry.

Water from the sink may contain tealeaves, fish scales, cooking fat, scraps of food and drink, and there will be a lot of soap residue from the washer which goes smelly, so you will need to clean it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back