Water Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hot water pipe to my bathroom sink is leaking. The leak fizzs out just under the nut, see photo please.

Context: We started getting leaks when we removed the cold water storage tank. I believe the pressure increase has caused this.

I dont want to cry poverty but we seriously have no funds to get a plumber around. I have dropped the nut down so you can see.

I think i read somewhere that i can use a rubbery compound?

Grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 170
Sponsored Links
2 Schools of thought, pop the pipe and olive out of the valve, rub around the olive with a green scourer till shiny.
  • Buy a roll of gas PTFE tape and put 3 turns around the olive makes sure you cover the whole olive - my preference
  • Buy jointing compound and do the same
refit and tighten.

Sponsored Links
2 Schools of thought, pop the pipe and olive out of the valve, rub around the olive with a green scourer till shiny.
  • Buy a roll of gas PTFE tape and put 3 turns around the olive makes sure you cover the whole olive - my preference
  • Buy jointing compound and do the same
refit and tighten.

Yep. Simple job.
If you buy some Laco (http://www.wickes.co.uk/LA-CO-Slic-Tite-Thread-Compound-With-PTFE-240ml/p/227184) and smear this over the ptfe then you're double protected and it helps the nut slip tighter... Don't overdo it or you'll crush the olive, just nip it up to ensure leak is stopped... The more you clean it up the better.

PTFE Gas tape, it's a bit thicker than normal. I find that's ok on it's own but I use it regularly when re-using serviceable fittings.

The liquid is an addition and helps to lubricate the jointing process and certainly won't go wrong.

Huge thanks all.

Went with the PTFE gas tape earlier today, went really well thanks to your inputs. Seems to be holding well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back