WATER LEAKING INTO BASEMENT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone.

I have a property where we have started to get leaks into the cellar at the point where the floor meets the outside wall. This coincided with the local authority doing some streetworks at the front of the property. I thought they may have cracked a drain, but they checked and couldn't find a problem.

I think it might be either.

1. Ground water leaking through.
2. Water from an internal gutter which comes from the roof and then goes into a drain on the pavment above and in front of the problem.

I would rather stop the water getting in than have to tank the wall.

I attach a picture of the property from the front and the cellar from inside (n.b. the basement wall is the facing away from the pavement at the front.

Any ideas?

DSCF0017.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

Sponsored Links
The floor-wall junction is the most common area of water ingress in basements. You could try filling the fillet with a waterproof mortar such as Unimortar 1 - see http://www.cellars.co.uk/basement-products.php

The trouble is that damp is likely to track round the fillet and show as damp patches on the wall/floor. The only way to deal with the water ingress properly is to tank the basement or line it with a cavity drain membrane.

collect some of the water and see if it smells like drains,or is clean as tap water. If it is water from the mains, the water co will, if reported, fix it in the fullness of time. If it is mains water from your own pipes,or from your own drains, you will have to fix it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back