Water level operated switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to set up a switch that will turn off power to a big dehumidifier once the water level in a big 25 litre jerry can gets near the top. Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this?

Sponsored Links
Most dehumidifiers use a float which pushes up against a simple spring switch. From your description it sounds as though you have a pipe from a dehumidifier to a jerrycan which is remote to the unit (yes?). It depends upon the opening into the jerry can whether you can you a similar principle.
If this isn't possible then you could use a 12/5V detector linked to a 240V relay. DIY or Maplins.

Perhaps a simpler way would be to use the weight of the can. It could be on a spring, or on a seesaw tippler. The type of switch used for lights inside cupboard or frig/oven doors would be OK if the 240V electrical part was away from any water spillage area. A pull switch (as in bathroom light/shower) would also be a possibility.

Yes, that is correct. I will check out the relay situation. Have experience of relays in automotive situations but not on mains supply. Thanks for help.

Sponsored Links
The see-saw weighing system is probably the simplest and easiest to achieve and would be reliable. The switch woud be best placed to be operated by the rising counter balance as that will keep it further away from the water. It should also be a snap action switch as the see-saw will be moving very slowly and a non snap action switch would be prone to a lot of contact arcing as the contacts close slowly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back