Water Management System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I run a farm and have a well which is supplied with water from a spring, which I want to extract water from in order to use to supply farm buildings. I want to pump the water from the well to a header tank at the top of the hill, which will then provide a gravity fed water system. However, I want to work out what the water pressure will be from the gravity fed system?

Sponsored Links
I run a farm and have a well which is supplied with water from a spring, which I want to extract water from in order to use to supply farm buildings. I want to pump the water from the well to a header tank at the top of the hill, which will then provide a gravity fed water system. However, I want to work out what the water pressure will be from the gravity fed system?
This make a change from the usual central heating problems :)

Have you worked out the number and size of pumps required to pump the water from the bottom of the well to the top of the hill?
And what about the pipes from well to tank and then back down to the buildings?
If the buildings are on the same level as the well head you seem to be doing a "Duke of York" exercise :!:

Though if your intention is to fill the tank overnight using "cheap" electricity and then draw off the tank during the day, relying simply on gravity, it might be a goer. But it will need careful design and a proper cost/benefit analysis.

Thank you for your response - no I have not worked out any of that yet. What is a "Duke of York" exercise? I am thinking of either doing as you said, and using night electricity to fill the tank or using another form of renewable energy source (e.g. photovoltaic or sola panel). The well is below the level of the buildings (it is actually a large concrete tank) where the water runs in one end and then there is an overflow for the water to run out down the hill in a pipe to the stream at the bottom of the hill. I have no idea what size pump I need, pipes, tank etc!

Sponsored Links
What is a "Duke of York" exercise?
Do you remember the nursery rhyme about The Grand Old Duke of York?

"He marched them up to the top of the hill and he marched them down again".

Substitute "pumped" for "marched" and you'll get my not completely accurate analogy. ;)

I see! Would you recommend just pumping the water straight into the system from the well/tank? If so, would that not use a lot of electricity?

I see! Would you recommend just pumping the water straight into the system from the well/tank? If so, would that not use a lot of electricity?
This is where you need to do a cost-benefit analysis. ;)

The amount of water you use in a day will not alter. It's a case of working out which will be the cheaper option in the long term: installing tanks, pipes and pumps to carry the water to the top of the hill and then rely on gravity to bring it back down to where it is needed; or, install pipes and pumps to take the water directly from the well to the point of use.

You have to take into account the capital cost as well as the running cost; and don't forget to take into account inflation and the loss of interest on any capital expenditure, not forgetting any tax allowances etc etc.

Again, thank you very much for your response. I fully appreciate the requirment for cost benefit analysis and I need to look into where I need to go to find someone that can advise me of the various costs but going back to my original question, I need to first work out whether or not there will be sufficient pressure from the tank at the top of the hill if it is a gravity fed system? If there will not be enough pressure, I will only really have one option!

As you have already been told, if the tank is 10 m above the farm then the pressure will be 1 Bar, less any flow resistance losses.

You should be able to use those figures to work out what your pressure will be.

Assuming you work out the pressure then allow 30% reduction for flow resistance if the pipe is properly sized.

Tony

Thank you all very much - you have been very helpful. Last question, you said allow 30% reduction for flow resistance if the pipe is "properly sized" - what is the best size pipe to use?

That depends on the head of water and the desired maximum flow rate!!!

Tony

Agile, You obviously know what you are talking about and I have not really got a clue! I will have to get someone to come and do it for me. Many thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back