Water penertration through bricks and mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to have an issue where I have water coming in around a door, however I have checked the door and it is sealed so the water isn't coming in via the door or the frame sealant.

I've checked all around and it would appear that the water is either coming in directly via the bricks or the mortar, I came to this conclusion as there is a stone block in the brickwork around the frame and where it sits there is no leakage internally.

Has anyone ever heard of this and how do I fix it?

I guess I just seal the bricks do I? what is puzzling me is that there is a damp proof course around the brick !! :eek:

any advice greatly appreciated :D

rgds

darren

Sponsored Links
Is there a cavity? If so, you may find mortar has dropped down into the cavity, thus forming a cold bridge. Or is this moisture all around the frame and not just towards the lower part?

Some widow fitters fix a 'drip' made of plastic flat-board to the tops of door and widow frames in an attempt to 'tidy up' the frame heads where external lintels are missing.

This drip is often left proud of the masonry and can collect water and allow it to seep in.

Does yours have such a drip?

I'm not sure if there is a cavity as it is an old barn conversion, but the wet area is just around the door which originally made me think that it was the door seal - which I have replaced but I still get the wet.

In terms of a lintel there is just a stone lintel above with no drip sill on there.

We're not getting any wet anywhere else though, and we only ever get the issue when it rains heavily for a number of hours, surface rain doesn't seem to be an issue.

Honestly I'm stumped as I can only think it is coming through the mortar - would some photo's help?

rgds

Darren

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back