Water pipe snapped off , could do with some advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im on the ground floor in my flat at there are a few copper pipes sticking out the concrete ground in the cupboards where i keep my music stuff, i guess they went to what would of been an old boiler because there are other capped pipes and im guessing they are gas. The water one is huge and bends into the middle of the space and ive snapped it off by having stuff sit on top of it. Water started spraying everywhere, so i cut it off at the mains. When i got the stuff out of there i moved the copper pipe and it was hanging on by a thread. Its snapped right at the base but i chipped some concrete away and there is a bend, then it goes horizontal. There is not really enough space to get a cutting tool to it because of the concrete. But it was just a capped pipe so is there andway i can block it up safely. Ive read on the forums that you can pour concrete down an old gas pipe, but that has no pressure to it it guess. For the moment i have used shopping bags for the plastic wrapped round alot with duct tape and three tie wraps and its holding the pressure, not one drop but i dont think its would last forever, i dont leave the water switched on. Thanks for reading, Help!

Sponsored Links
We really need some pictures to ascertain the pipe size.( Concrete down old drains, anything gas has to be done by a Gas Safe bod.)

Yep. Photos to start with.
You're gonna have to cut it square to pipe (grinder/multi tool) and then cap the end with compression stop end in probably inch size. You may need to dig out more concrete around it with a small breaker or hammer and bolster.

Sponsored Links
Ideally find the other end of it and disconnect there. Possibly a T connection under the kitchen sink or similar which goes straight into the floor.

Dont go to bed or leave the flat without turning off the main stop-tap.

Dont go to bed or leave the flat without turning off the main stop-tap.
I always switch it off, i even turn the tap on after to let the pressure out because you can see the thing swelling up.

Thats what it looks like now, i moved some of the concrete out the way. So what you are looking at in part of a plastic bag folded over many times the gaffa tape, more plastic bag covers and more gaffa. That actully held without the tie wraps but i could see tiny amounts of water coming out so i stuck 3 tie wraps on and now the top just swells when the stopcock is on.

I traced the pipes back to under the bath and i think its the hot water pipe that is broken. At least i think it is the right pipe. I think the old boiler was in this cupboard so did the water used to travel the other way, into the bathroom?

It seems like the thick broken pipe, the white plastic pipe (which does nothing), and the thinner pipe are there under the bath.

Just some pics from under the bath. So im now wondering if i could could this thick pipe you see here and cap it there under the bath somewhere?

Thanks Daniel. I thought it was that but i just wanted to ask someone before i went cutting into other pipes haha. So what the easiest way to cap a copper pipe. Can i use one of those self sealing push on caps from screwfix. Would be handy is someone could tell me what parts i need. Sorry for being a noob.

Those self sealing caps work well, but make sure they are pushed on fully and there is a ring at the end where pipe goes in, this ring needs pulling outwards as far as it would allow, (around 2 mm) locking the cap on, if need comes to remove it, this ring is pushed back in and the cap withdrawn, some come with a small plastic ring that fits in the 2mm slot made when this ring is pulled as far out so that you cannot accidently push this ring back in, as it could then dislodge and come undone.

comes in 15mm, 22mm and even other sizes. any plumbers shops sell it and is just called a push on cap.

Those self sealing caps work well, but make sure they are pushed on fully and there is a ring at the end where pipe goes in, this ring needs pulling outwards as far as it would allow, (around 2 mm) locking the cap on, if need comes to remove it, this ring is pushed back in and the cap withdrawn, some come with a small plastic ring that fits in the 2mm slot made when this ring is pulled as far out so that you cannot accidently push this ring back in, as it could then dislodge and come undone.

comes in 15mm, 22mm and even other sizes. any plumbers shops sell it and is just called a push on cap.

Go to bed Mike ffs! At least you won't be able to post complete bol1ox like this when you are asleep;):sleep:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back