WATER PIPE USED AS GAS PIPE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my combi installed earlier this week which needed a gas pipe run from downstairs to upstairs,the fitter utilised one of the old heating pies for part of the new pipe run ,correct bore pipe,but is this allowed??!!.Also the apprentice made the pipe from the meter to the existing heating pipe,again is this allowed??!!.Thanks. :(

Sponsored Links
Reckon the crud which will flake off inside the old heating pipe will get into the gas valve and cause problems, cant see it being a problem the apprentice connecting the gas pipe as long as he is competent and corgi man oversees and checks it and it is done to gas regs.

Old iron gas pipes are often a quarter full of rust. He could always use his vac/blower to put air through far faster than the will gas ever go!

Sponsored Links
The other question with the reuse of an old water pipe for gas is whether you can be sure that the pipework does not include any hidden compression joints or branches. Also there may be old leaks that have sealed themselves with scale deposits. Will they remain sound with gas?

I can imagine that a former heating pipe would produce a steady stream of flaky black debris which might be light enough to get carried along in the gas stream to the gas valve, where they would most likely block the inlet filter. Not quite the same as the rust in old steel gas pipes, ChrisR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back