Water pooling on concrete drive - drainage suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a problem in my new house which has a concrete drive, the section nearest the house pools water after it rains which means standing in a puddle when loading/unloading the cat boot etc.

We will eventually look at e-laying the drive but for the medium term we need a way of draining this somehow by a channel of soak away of some sort.

Any good suggestion welcome, picture attached:

Sponsored Links
Hire or borrow a heavy duty SDS drill and drill a couple of holes through the concrete

Sponsored Links
It depends what your subsoil is we are partly on clay, we tried drilling holes on a garden path and if you dig a hole it just fills up with water.

It depends what your subsoil is we are partly on clay, we tried drilling holes on a garden path and if you dig a hole it just fills up with water.

I don't think it is clay but I can check that out, I could try a smaller hole and if that soaks away even slowly I can try a bigger one.

If you look at the lower row of bricks in the wall you can see how the drive appears to dip, where it is black. You say the house is new, I would go back to the builders and ask them to consider remedying that situation to remove the concave area.

If you look at the lower row of bricks in the wall you can see how the drive appears to dip, where it is black. You say the house is new, I would go back to the builders and ask them to consider remedying that situation to remove the concave area.

It's an early 50's house and only new as in I recently bought it. Annoyingly the other 3/4 of the same drive run away to the road without pooling so it is just the section shown.

It's an early 50's house and only new as in I recently bought it. Annoyingly the other 3/4 of the same drive run away to the road without pooling so it is just the section shown.

My apologies - when you said 'new house' I took it to mean literally that. You could break up that section and have it relaid with the correct fall on it.

As an alternative you could create a 'run off channel' by running an angle grinder from the lowest point to say the garden (assuming that it to the right hand side of photo, just out of shot). If you mark a line and run that parallel to the expansion joint that can be seen in the photo it may look ok and save the expense of my previous suggestion. Just grind along the marked line to a depth that allows water to run off.

As an alternative you could create a 'run off channel' by running an angle grinder from the lowest point to say the garden (assuming that it to the right hand side of photo, just out of shot). If you mark a line and run that parallel to the expansion joint that can be seen in the photo it may look ok and save the expense of my previous suggestion. Just grind along the marked line to a depth that allows water to run off.

That was the other thing I wondered about, the front garden is to the right as you can see in attached photo. That could be a good choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back