rainwater pooling against wall

Thank you for all your suggestions . You've been very helpful and certainly given me a few options to think about .
I can't actually tell where the damp proof course is . I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for to be honest !
I appreciate that I shouldn't have my rainwater running off over my next doors property . This was the way the houses were built and prior to the new drive being installed next door we both has the original drives and paths with neither of us having any problems .
I think I will get the concrete edging up first of all and take it from there .

Sponsored Links
In a house of yours' age the DPC will be black plastic. Its hard to find in the wall and often the best place is at a reveal. Check at your front door if the reveal isnt plastered. As a rough guide the internal floor level is usually a similar height to the dpc.

Check along the mortar courses on the outside for any show of a thin black plastic strip.

I've had a look today and I really can't see any evidence of a DPC. I'm sure there is one of course but its very well hidden !

If you can't see it, I'd be a little worried! It could mean that whoever laid your path went over the DPC, and that can be a problem with damp issues. Did the folk who did your newer paving lay it over existing paving?

Sponsored Links
Looking at the photos you can assume the internal floor level of the house from the porch and the water stops rising 2 x bricks up the wall so its probably there and doing its job.

As that path doesnt look like its really needed for anything other than a short cut for the post man, I'd be temped to remove it and replace with gravel.

I haven't noticed any damp on the wall inside. I've been checking daily .
Hadn't thought about removing the path and replacing with gravel. Something else to think about . Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back