Water Pressure for electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fix a shower over my bath and the easiest cold water supply would be from the cold water pipe on the hand sink.

Would there be enough pressure from this pipe to operate the shower? Its not a really good pressure at the tap but was wondering if theres a minimum pressure required to supply the shower unit.

The shower will just be a cheap electric bog standard one.

Sponsored Links
Almost all electric shower require mains supply cold water - the chances are that you cold water supply to the basin is fed from the tank (if you have one!)

Hi Maverick...just one other thing. Are you planning to fit this yourself? Be aware of the Part P elec requirements. Won't bore you but if you don't know what i am talking about you need a professional to fit it. You can check if Newboy is correct by turning off your water at the stock cock (the one nearest entry into house inside) and turn on you CW tap in bathroom...no water...mains fed....water...tank fed. Showers do usually need a minimum 'head'. Usually around 70cm + of head but check manufacturers instructions. But at this sort of level expect....a dribble

Sponsored Links
Hi Maverick...just one other thing. Are you planning to fit this yourself? Be aware of the Part P elec requirements. Won't bore you but if you don't know what i am talking about you need a professional to fit it. You can check if Newboy is correct by turning off your water at the stock cock (the one nearest entry into house inside) and turn on you CW tap in bathroom...no water...mains fed....water...tank fed. Showers do usually need a minimum 'head'. Usually around 70cm + of head but check manufacturers instructions. But at this sort of level expect....a dribble

Hi Thanks for that. Just done the check and the tap is tank fed so wont do. The pipe that feeds the main tank in the airing cupboard also has a branch off that goes up into the loft. Not sure yet if it goes to the header tank or where.

Would I be right in assuming I can tap into this in the loft then?

The header tank for your HW cylinder is fed by mains cold water (almost always).....trace it and cut into it to run to your shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back