Water Pressure Imbalance twaddle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a new Mira Mini Lite Thermostatic shower and after playing with it, turning it on and off 30 times, it stopped turning off. I called Mira and they are sending and engineer out, when i called they mentioned water pressure imbalance as a possible cause.

My hot water is at 1 bar coming from a combi and my cold could be as high as 4 or 5.

How do i regulate the cold water pressure is it a case of just closing the stop cock a little or is there a proper way of doing this?

Would water pressure imbalance break a shower and if it could how do i convince the engineer that i should have to pay for the repair?

Sponsored Links
how do you know its at 1 bar from the combi ? not by the gauge on the front i hope.

How do i regulate the cold water pressure is it a case of just closing the stop cock a little or is there a proper way of doing this?

pressure reducing valve

Would water pressure imbalance break a shower and if it could how do i convince the engineer that i should have to pay for the repair?

yes

and if it ain't fitted right ( according to the instructions)
you will :eek: :eek:

Thanks, so i need to fit the pressure reducing valve before the engineer comes that way i can claim that there wasn't a pressure imbalance...

Should I fit the valve at the stopcock or at the shower, i suspect having high pressure throught the house isnt a good idea right?

Sponsored Links
your getting a bit carried away.

wheres the 1 bar hot water come from ?
and the 4 - 5 bar cold mains ?

your getting a bit carried away.

wheres the 1 bar hot water come from ?
and the 4 - 5 bar cold mains ?

1 bar for the hot comes from the gauge on the combi and a plumber estimated that it was 4 or 5 bars for the cold.

There was hammering from the shower before it bust, thats what made me think it was pressure, i figured the hammering was caused by the high pressure going through the shower chamber.

that gauge on the front of your boiler is the pressure in the ch side not your dhw.
you won't loose 3 just cause its going through a boiler.

how do you know what your cold mains pressure is ?

thats the system pressure

kickbut.gif

nothing to do with the water :cry:

There was hammering from the shower before it bust

double ohh dear :cry:

estimated hasn't he got a gauge then?

no wonder it bust if your opening and shutting 30 times.

you may have high pressure but i wouldn't say you have unbalanced pressure.

you need to check l/m flow on hot and cold and working pressure hot and cold
hot and cold supplies need to be balanced at shower you may need to fit an in-line pressure reducer on cold supply to shower only
i think flow reducers are supplied with shower it will be in mi's

Right then, so possibly not unbalanced pressure, how can i find out for sure and what’s with the oh dears and double oh dears, I’m getting worried, is hammering coming from a shower a bad thing, I suspect it is given that it broke shortly after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back