Water Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an old Victorian house that suffers from low water pressure, and therefore I don't have a shower. I know that I cannot attach a powershower because I have a combi boiler, but someone mentioned that I could have a shower if I installed a cold water storage tank above the shower (i.e. the loft). Is this possible, and how big should the tank be?

Sponsored Links
You can attach a mixer shower to your combi but look at your hot water pressure first. Might be worth measuring the flow.

You should get approx 9 litres per min. :D

No, thats no good, the water pressure is awful. I would be better off running one straight from either the mains or from a storage tank if I could.

There`s a Triton electric shower that takes water from a storage tank and heats by an element :idea: It`s been on the forum recently. Try the website

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
There`s a Triton electric shower that takes water from a storage tank and heats by an element :idea: It`s been on the forum recently. Try the website

And it got a 'pump' designed for low pressure systems.... ;)

Site Requirements - Water

IMPORTANT!

Under NO circumstances must the shower be connected to the mains cold water supply.

To ensure correct operation of the shower it must be connected to a gravity fed cold water storage cistern, with a maximum head of water of 10 metres and a minimum head of water of 80mm, as measured between the bottom of the storage cistern and the top of the unit.

The shower must be fed directly from the cold water cistern with no other draw offs between the cistern and the unit. The tank connection for the cold water feed to the unit should be on the opposite side of the cistern to the ball valve. The unit must not be installed where it is subject to freezing conditions.

triton t80 si pumped

look here :D

click on guide to water systems then click electric

sarakay63 said:
No, thats no good, the water pressure is awful. I would be better off running one straight from either the mains or from a storage tank if I could.

if the main pressure is ok why not go for an electric shower....say a mira 10.8kw....adequate showers (not a power shoer thou).
i have one...i have intalled 10's of them and all folk have told me they are happy with them (but as stated its not a power shower performance)

If u really want a power shower & have the money to spend & the room get a heating engineer to fit u a vented hotwater system heated by the combi & get a plumber to fit a Stuart Turner 2 bar booster pump to supply a quality valve (Aqualisa /Mira)

Before going far into finding ways around the problem, why does it exist in the first place? You need to find out what the water supplier says the pressure should be (or get a plumber to measure it), measure the actual flow through your mains taps combined (kitchen + outside together) , to establish the root of the problem.

If you have a crushed, lead, supply pipe, it will get worse so needs replacing. The expensive part of doing that is often the digging of a trench in the ground. There are always people available to do that fairly cheaply, if you look!

Thanks everyone for your help. I am a bit confused tho - kevplumb says not to connect a shower to the mains - then the Triton T80si installation instructions says it can be! Which one is correct? I have had electric showers connected to the mains water before I'm sure. By the way, I am not installing it myself, I just want an idea around it so I can get someone in and instruct them. When I ring plumbers, they take one look at the problem and run!

Thanks everyone for your help. I am a bit confused tho - kevplumb says not to connect a shower to the mains - then the Triton T80si installation instructions says it can be! Which one is correct? I have had electric showers connected to the mains water before I'm sure. By the way, I am not installing it myself, I just want an idea around it so I can get someone in and instruct them. When I ring plumbers, they take one look at the problem and run!

Out of interest, why can't you put in a break tank on the mains (to byelaw 30) then pump the outlet form the tank to the rest of the house? Obviously, you shouldn't need to, and it's a bit complicated (extra cistern, pump, pressure regulation etc.) But that's what done in offices and flats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back