Water Regulations and isolating valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Having just bought a new houseI have discovered that the taps on the cloakroom wash basin spray out water at a pressure far too great for the size of the basin.

I have a pressure reducing valve on the incoming mains but I can't turn this down anymore because it affects the pressure of the other taps in the house.

What I'd like to know is whether ir not the builders (Barretts) have an obligation to install isolating valves on each pipe leading to a tap?

I checked the internet for the water regulations, these state:

"Water supply systems shall be capable of being drained down and be fitted with an adequate number of servicing valves and drain taps so as to minimize the discharge of water when water fittings are maintained or replaced. A sufficient number of stop valves shall be installed for isolating parts of the pipework. "

If I spout this to the builders will they laugh at me and tell me where to go?

Yours,

Terry

Sponsored Links
its water regs that states iso should be used,with a new build im supprised that this was not followed,all regs should be follwed mate,i would call them,there might be no problem with them coming out,u wont know till u call them,i would stand my ground and get them to do it,its not like its a big job,im sure they would do it for there reputation

Normal isolating valves (90 degree turn ball valves) will not help you, since when partially closed they generate a lot of noise. You need isolating valves with built in flow restrictors (Cotham & Preedy? - available from BES), or microbore pipework supplying taps.

Thanks for the replies guys, it's appreciated.

I see what you mean about the isolating valves generating noise as a result of being semi closed, however surely this would reduce the high flow that is passing through the taps and reduce the amount of water being directed off my wash basin all over my walls?

Terry

p.s Chris do you have a product number for the valves you mention?

Sponsored Links
All I can find on valves is http://www.applibrass.co.uk/
You can certainly stop splashing by turning down ordinary iso. valves, but the noise really is excessive.

To go back to your original point, I think you ought to insist on Barratts sorting it out. Irrespective o water regulations, no reasonable person would say that you should put up with water splashing everywhere.

Couldn't agree more with Mr Hutt on this.

A) he's right
B) I'm just showing that I can do Nice from time to time :eek:

Whilst its "good practice" to install isolating valves on taps, the water Regulations only actually require them on float ( ball ) valves!

Having said that Barratts as one of the "leading house builders" should have used " good practice". You could try to pester them but its a cheap DIY job to fit them.

Although it becomes a bit noisy, being able to reduce splashing is possible with isolating valves.

Soon, as the occupiers, you will learn not to turn the taps on full!

Tony Glazier

You cannot make that decision Paul. Its up to the client and if you dont warn them first they probably will complain about it.

Or perhaps your clients are totally unconcerned and live in ex-council blocks and have become accustomed to accepting low standards?

Ours will complain about anything!

Once I had a Nigerian phone to say it was six minutes past eleven and my engineer had not arrived at eleven as planned.

I explained that six minutes was not a significant time when driving across London and added that in Nigeria he would be lucky to get a plumber the same day.

He replied "thats why I left Nigeria !"

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back