Water running from bath overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My friend just bought a ground floor flat with a relatively recent bathroom suite - weird thing is that there is a small amount of water running constantly out of the overflow of the bath. It stops for a while when you fill and empty the sink but then starts again.

The overflow is connected both to the bath trap and to a standard overflow pipe (not sure why you need both). This overflow pipe drops to floor level where it splits at a T - one half goes down under the floor and the other disappears behind the bath. There's no overflow pipe sticking out of the wall outside as I would expect.

Any ideas why this is happening? Can water really be coming back up the overflow pipe?

Thanks in advance

Elaine

Sponsored Links
Probably, the overflow from the WC cistern is run into the back of the bath overflow. Common practice / feature - makes sure you notice it needs fixing!

Sponsored Links
I've worked in massonettes before were the ground floor bath overflow acted as an overflow (warning pipe) for not only for the wc cistern in the same room but also the wc cistern in the flat above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back