Water running out of uPVC door...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into this house a month ago, and have had to do a lot of work. One of the first things I did was get complete new locking mechanisms etc fitted to the 3 external doors by a locksmith – the doors took a lot of jiggling and forcing to lock, then it took you half a day to get them unlocked again – and the handles were drooping down etc. 25 years old or so.

Anyway, all works fine now, except that water runs out the bottom of one of the doors when I swing it open, leaving a wet arc on the floor.

I expect (but don’t know for sure) it was like that before the locksmith came, and I just didn’t notice – or maybe it hadn’t rained in a while. I’ve examined it, and it seems somebody has drilled a little hole at the bottom to let water out, so I expect it’s been like that for years though.

Is this a common problem, and something easy to fix with a new seal or something? Please don’t include the words “new door” in your answers… this house is killing me :eek:

Attachments

• DSCN2047.JPG
    DSCN2047.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN2049.JPG
    DSCN2049.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN2050.JPG
    DSCN2050.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
Water should drain from holes in the bottom of the door into the threshold and to the outside (either by face drain holes in the outside of the threshold or concealed drainage between the frame and cill).
Start by checking all of the holes are clear. For the threshold you can pour a cup of water to see where it comes out. For the door you will have to poke something in the holes

Water should drain from holes in the bottom of the door into the threshold and to the outside (either by face drain holes in the outside of the threshold or concealed drainage between the frame and cill).

Thanks, that’s very helpful. I have a feeling this is a stupid question, but… how/why does water get into the door in the first place…?

Sponsored Links
Start by checking all of the holes are clear. For the threshold you can pour a cup of water to see where it comes out. For the door you will have to poke something in the holes

Well, unfortunately this door opens inwards, very close to the floor, so I couldn’t get much underneath it at all to see or feel what’s going on.

The sill is completely dry, which I think confirms that the door isn't draining into it…

I opened a conservatory door, which swings out over a big step, and could see that there are slots cut in the bottom – presumably this one’s the same, and they’re full of dead woodlice or something, which is why somebody’s drilled a hole in the end of the door… so the door seems to have like an inch of water in it, and when you swing it open, the water sloshes to the end with the hole, and sprays out.

I’ll try a bit harder later, but I think I’m going to struggle to clear the damn thing out, which I suppose means taking the door off to do it. I’ve watched a YouTube video or two, and it looks like I’d mess up the adjustment if I unscrew the hinges…?

Am I right, or is there any easier way of getting it off cleanly?

Going to need a pic of your hinges to help on that as there are dozens of different types.

Worst case scenario you could drill a couple of holes in the 2 ends of the door right at the bottom as it would do the same thing

Going to need a pic of your hinges to help on that as there are dozens of different types.

IMAG1186.jpg

Worst case scenario you could drill a couple of holes in the 2 ends of the door right at the bottom as it would do the same thing

Yeah starting to think that. But actually, in common with everything else in this house, I think maybe some of the door/window seals are past their best... is it a DIY job to replace them, he asked hopefully...?

Yes seals on those should be easy. Find an end and pull it out a bit take a pic of the shape (cross section) and some measurements. Then go on ebay and search:
Bubble gaskets
Flipper gaskets
Which ever type you have you can buy a sample pack for 99p. Test the samples for the best fit and you will then know the code. You can just order it by the meter then.

As for you door that should just lift off (hopefully there is enough room at the top before it hits the plaster)

Yes seals on those should be easy. Find an end and pull it out a bit take a pic of the shape (cross section) and some measurements. Then go on ebay and search:

Bubble gaskets

Flipper gaskets

Which ever type you have you can buy a sample pack for 99p. Test the samples for the best fit and you will then know the code. You can just order it by the meter then.

Thanks man, that’s a big help (y)

As for your door that should just lift off (hopefully there is enough room at the top before it hits the plaster)

:eek::eek::eek: just... lift... off...?

OK I'll try tomorrow, when the temperature rises about Absolute Zero again...

Still arctic here, so didn't want to chance it. I decided to drill a hole at the bottom as suggested:

IMAG1190.jpg

Thing is though, there don't appear to be any drain holes in the bottom of the frame...

That was probably the problem then lol.
It can now drain into the threshold so should be problem sorted

That was probably the problem then lol.
It can now drain into the threshold so should be problem sorted

Ummm... yeah... but if the "threshold" is the bit of the frame below the door (sorry I don't know the terminology), that's my point - there don't seem to be any holes for the water to escape from IT!

IMAG1193.jpg

Thats a good quality door then (NOT!)
Can you post a pic of the outside bottom?

You may face to drill some holes down into the threshold (external edge) and then some in the front of the frame near the bottom which can be covered with drainage caps.
If you have a Google image search of "pvc window face drainage" there are some pics that will show you how it should be

Thats a good quality door then (NOT!)
Can you post a pic of the outside bottom?

You may face to drill some holes down into the threshold (external edge) and then some in the front of the frame near the bottom which can be covered with drainage caps.
If you have a Google image search of "pvc window face drainage" there are some pics that will show you how it should be

Well... looks like it has drains, but I guess they're not working...? Trouble is, I can't for the life of me figure out where they drain from on the inside. As I think I said, the door opens inwards, so I can't see underneath as it's too close to the floor - I can feel what appear to be a couple of little slots (maybe an inch long) on the bottom of the door, and have tried poking paperclips up through etc, but dry as a bone... but there appear to be no matching holes in the frame.

Yet, I assume there wouldn't be drains on the outside but not on the inside!

IMAG1194.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back