Water supply/rights question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if in wrong section.
Basically, I bought a house with attached workshop in 1984. I moved out in 1990 and split the properties. I still own the workshop which has its own address. Previously it was known as 'rear of....my previous property. At the time I had an independent electricity supply to the workshop installed but not water as at the timer, Thames water said there was no problems. I actually noted the date, time and persons name and spoken words at the time and still have those notes somewhere in my house as I saw them a while ago. I suspect the person doesn't still work there!

The water supply and drainage from the house also served the workshop. There have been several occupiers of the property since 1984.

Today I have no water. Cannot contact the current owner at the moment but spoke to the wife. The whole street had new water supplies and meters fitted over the weekend. I suspect they have turned my supply off as they will be paying and that's understandable but do I have any rights to a supply, even if a meter can be fitted at my stopcock?

Have had a good relationship to date with the owner but if it turns nasty, I'd like to know where I stand.

Any idea's?

Sponsored Links
Surely they must put it back as it was with water to both.

Did Thames Water renew the water supply right into the house or just the main in the road?

I guess you could either have a new supply pipe into the workshop or have a meter fitted and pay the home owner.

That type of infrastructure renewal would have been well notified to the current registered users,bespoke/sharing of another property supply will have other rules.

seen it happen so many times during bulk gas & water service renewals,its often an administrative mistake or someone has been sussed out for theft. Should be easily sorted out :)

Sponsored Links
Motman I have sent you a PM
Thanks Bernard.

Update: I went and checked down some of the new water covers - no meters fitted but seems they fitted external stopcocks to the whole street. Anyway, turned out I was flapping over nothing - I left a tap on which stated dribbling then gradually got stronger and now it's all back to normal. The mains for the whole street must have been turned off! :rolleyes:

I was thinking allsorts and even had my revenge planned - the waste from their utility room (sink, dishwasher and washing machine) drains through the workshop drain and stopping that flow would have meant a major refit for them.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back