Water Syphon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to take a meter reading from outside myhouse but I have found that the meter appears to be under water under the manhole cover. I will find out why in the longer term but for the meantime I merely wich to extract the water (i.e not more than a bucket of water). where can you buy a cheap & simple device to do this?

Edit I guess this tool might do the job http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...ngechecker/store_search.jsp&selected=products

Sponsored Links
a syphon moves fluid from a high level to a low one. It will not move water uphill, which is what you need.

The squeeze bulb on that thing might or mightn not be strong enopugh, but it will be slow.

However you can bale it out with a small cup, or even a sponge.

I dont think any of them drill operated pumps will be of any use because they do not appear to be self priming.

In order to pump there has to be a fluid to be pumped, since the pipe will be full of air, it needs to pump the air out and water in, most pumps can not do this unless they are below the water level.

I would go with JohnD's sponge idea or buy a small water feature pump and put that in the water clicky other suppliers and brands of small pump are available

Sponsored Links
You can use a hose pipe as a syphon if the end can be placed lower than the water level of what you are draining. I used to drain my pond by running water in to it and then taking the end off the tap and putting it down the drain. The water will run uphill as long as the end is low enough.

thanks for the suggestions. so last night I used an old cup and managed to get the water down so I could read the water meter. Imagine my delight when I found that it was so condensated that I can't read the blasted thing anway :(

so I ran rang Thames water and they are sending someone round to get a reading...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back