water tank not filling up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We've been away for 6 weeks and turned our water off. When we came back we found a rat had chewed through a PVC water pipe under the kitchen and no water coming through. We got our plumber out who fixed it, so we thought all good. After turning the water on again, after a couple of hours our hot water cylinder was still filling up and not heating. It's in our ceiling. I've been up there and there are no leaks from the hot water cylinder or of the any piping in the roof. You can hear the water going through the pipes in the walls to the hot water cylinder. I've turned the water off at the mains and wondering what to do next. Do you think another rat chewed through pipe? The cold water pressure in all parts of the house is fine, so not sure where the leak could be. Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
more likely debris from the chewed pipe being washed into the float valve in the tank restricting the flow to the tank and so only filling the cylinder slowly.

have you popped up to see how the tank is filling?

this is assuming you have a vented and not mains pressure system of course :)

Just thinking that New Zealand is a long way for a UK plumber to come.
I'd volunteer my services but you would have to cover all expenses.
Your water systems may well differ from ours.

Sponsored Links
Just thinking that New Zealand is a long way for a UK plumber to come.
I'd volunteer my services but you would have to cover all expenses.
Your water systems may well differ from ours.

lol, i din't even notice where he was calling from!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back