Water Transfer Pump Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Firstly everyone merry xmas & best wishes for a very happy new year.

I'm hoping someone can help me regarding questions about water pumps.

We've has a bit of disaster as after heavy rain, one of our basement rooms has flooded.

After a lot of investigation & digging from a local builder, we've found that there is standing water next to our home's foundation, which has over time seeped under the stones (clay) and entered the room.

Although not a huge amount, our builder has said that standing water outside is not good and should be somehow either diverted or drained.

Unfortunately there is no way of diverting this water away from the property as the ground level and level of drains are much higher and the standing water is approx 6 feet lower.

My builder has suggested the only option is to pump the water out with a "water transfer pump".

He's gone on a family holiday and has said whilst he's away, that I look into these water pumps and decide what type/make I want to fit and hopefully when he's back, he'll attempt to fit it in.

I would really appreciate your help in answering my questions.
  • Is there such a water pump that:
    • can be installed inside the property, but the inlet pipe can be fed down into the trench outside?
    • is triggered automatically to start pumping on detection of water.
The reason for having a pump on the inside is because the amount of water that entered the basement is not huge (no more than a few centimetres). But outside the wall, there is approx 1 foot high water. Now I guess I could dig a hole outside and have a submersible sump pump, but if it developed a fault, then I have difficulty accessing it for maintenance.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I'm really sorry Andy but that is just a link to a google search for a sump pump.

I would really appreciate your help in answering my questions.
  • Is there such a water pump that:
    • can be installed inside the property, but the inlet pipe can be fed down into the trench outside?
    • is triggered automatically to start pumping on detection of water.
The reason for having a pump on the inside is because the amount of water that entered the basement is not huge (no more than a few centimetres). But outside the wall, there is approx 1 foot high water. Now I guess I could dig a hole outside and have a submersible sump pump, but if it developed a fault, then I have difficulty accessing it for maintenance.

The link that I mentioned does what you want to do.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thank you Andy. I would like to apologise as I feel I haven't better explained what I'm looking for.

Basically, I want a water pump which:

• is non-submersible/surface-mounted
  • has an inlet and outlet pipe connections
  • has a built-in sensor on the end of an inlet pipe to detect water/or maybe I can buy a water detecting sensor separately.
I can't find one that matches this description and I'm hoping that someone can advise if such a system exists.

is triggered automatically to start pumping on detection of water
Yes, that is how almost all of them are configured

can be installed inside the property, but the inlet pipe can be fed down into the trench outside?
Yes, but discharging as far from the house as possible. If your local water company agree then you could discharge into a sewer. ( it would to be a combined sewer, foul and surface water )

Now I guess I could dig a hole outside and have a submersible sump pump,
That could be pumping for a very long time before any significant reduction in water level was achieved. It may never stop pumping.

and the standing water is approx 6 feet lower.
Which is probably the permanent water table for the area. You would never drain that.

Although not a huge amount, our builder has said that standing water outside is not good and should be somehow either diverted or drained.

Drying out the ground under and around the foundations house will cause shrinkage of the ground, especially if it is clay, and this can lead to movement in the foundations,

This pump might be adequate.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/centrifugal-pumps/1241948/

Meaure the rate of water flowing into the room to decide what pump capacity is needed. Your builder will need to create a sump at the lowest point of the floor.. The larger the sump volume the better for those times when a short duration "flash flood" inflow to the room is greater than the pumps capacity.

Depending on the value of the room and it's contents having a spare pump could a sensible back up for pumps failure or when inflow is higher than normal. The sump should be wide enough to have the two pumps side by side if needed.

Last edited:
Here is the idea I had:

View media item 100896Thanks very much bernard.

But your suggestion of having a sump pump inside sounds more plausible and sensible to me. Because my idea means that if in the future there was a problem such as a blockage, I'd have to dig-up the whole trench again.

However:
  • Wouldn't deliberatly letting the water in wash away the clay under the foundations? How can I protect these as much as possible?
  • The builder has already dug an outside trench going down to the footings. Water is now standing outside, with a small amount entering inside. How can I guide the water back in?

Last edited:
You know how much water is seeping in so you can select the right sized pump, You ( probably ) have no idea how much water there is outside the house in the water table. The water outside may be coming from an under ground stream or similar un-ending source of water. You could ask the local council building control office for advice about the depth, extent and variations of the water table and aquafers ( under ground water sources ) around your property.

Hence pumping out the known amount inside the building is the easiest to plan for.

Wouldn't letting the water in wash away the clay under the foundations?
No, at least not as much as drying out the ground could, the bricks and mortar the water is seeping through will stop the clay moving with the water into the room.

Sorry bernard, I've ended up editing my post as I wanted to add a picture and some more info to it, but you've posted your reply beforehand.

I actually do have an idea of the amount of water that is collecting. During heavy rain the water is filling a space of approx 1.5mtrs length, 1ft foot width and approx 10-12inches height. This is why when it comes into the property and spreads across the floor, there isn't a huge amount.

The builder said that he didn't think it was rising water table and thinks it most likely a small stream of rain water that's found it's way through cracks and gaps in clay to the side the house.

I think your spot on and I definitely want to go ahead with an indoor sump pump idea.

We've already re-pointed the footing stones on the inside as there were large gaps between them.

Could you please tell me:
  • How do I create a channel in between the foundation stones to allow water to come through? Shall I just drill a hole in the pointing, thus allowing the water through?

How do I create a channel in between the foundation stones to allow water to come through? Shall I just drill a hole in the pointing, thus allowing the water through?

Why do you want to increase the flow into the room. If anything you want to reduce the flow into the room

The builder said that he didn't think it was rising water table and thinks it most likely a small stream of rain water
Small stream ? from where, could be a small stream fed from a large volume of water some nearby or miles away, as fast as you pump the trench dry the small stream will continue to replace that water until the large volume has also been drained.

Why do you want to increase the flow into the room. If anything you want to reduce the flow into the room

Bernard, because currently the vast majority of rain water is simply standing in the trench next to the foundations and not going anywhere, with only some leaking into the basement.

Last edited:
Sump pump in its own chamber inside. This will look like a gulley or drain cover.

But you should also deal with the excess water externally with a land drain or something.

Thanks woody. Being honest, I don't think there is any way of creating a land drain (unless you have any ideas??). All the ground is clay and the more deeper the ground, the more blue solid clay appears and the water just sits there for many days, until the next rain.

Hence my original post to somehow pump the water out.

Last edited:
French drain with a sump pump? This will deal with the local surface water and help prevent further accumulation which over the seasons the level may drop if only you can keep the surface water adding to it.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back