Water Turnoff Value under sink will not come off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace the water turnoff valve under our bathroom sink but it will not come off. I am turning it to the left but it just keeps turning and I am not making any progress to get it off. What is the secret?

Thanks.
Sandy

Sponsored Links
A picture speaks a thousand words!!!! what are you turning to the left? Its a mystery to me.

The current water valve is connected to the pipe coming out of the wall. I am turning the entire water valve to try to get it off the pipe so I can put a new water valve on.

We are not getting anywhere fast with this one are we !!!
What type of fitting connects it to the pipe ???
there is no point in anybody guessing, we need more info if we are going to be able to help you.

Sponsored Links
The current water valve is connected to the pipe coming out of the wall. I am turning the entire water valve to try to get it off the pipe so I can put a new water valve on.

I think you mean the entire valve and it's connecting nut are turning around on the pipe so it won't unscrew to release the pipe.

Hold the valve still and unscrew the nut with a wrench.

If it is a compression fitting, similar to
27542_P

or
18986_P

you need to unscrew the nuts from the ends of the fitting instead of turning the whole fitting.

You live in USA so it is a shut off valve and in older plumbing, it's fitted onto iron thread which you should be able to unscrew. I reckon this valve has a nut and olive fitted onto copper pipe, hold the valve and unscrew the nut behind.

Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back