Water under floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at a house to renovate and saw one which has water standing under the floorboards in the ground floor void. I understand this is a common problem in the Heysham/Morecambe area presumably due to high water table. I'm told that many people install a pump but also many do nothing. The void is approx 2' - 3' deep and the water level was about 2' below the floor joists though I understand it can be higher. There are no signs of damp in the house so water doesn't appear to be getting above the DPC.
Does anybody have any experience/advice about this?
Also in the void near a trap door in the floor is an odd galvanised 'drum' type thing the size of a small beer keg (see photo). There does not appear to be any wires or pipes connected to this (unless they were under water), does anybody know what this may be? It seems to have a semi circular lid on the top.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG

Sponsored Links
That "odd galvanised 'drum' type thing" looks to me like an old 'copper' that used to be used to boil wash laundry? There was a gas burner under the bottom of a water filled upper tank where the washing was boiled, with a drain tap on the front. I remember my gran had one that looked like that in her kitchen.

Thanks for that, yes it does look like it might be what was also known as a Burco boiler.

Ok, don't shoot me, but i believe that bin, is the sump pump basin (actually i'm pretty sure), is it within easy access of your trap door?
just google

sump pump basin, or galvanised sump pump basin - and then images

Sponsored Links
No shooting at all! I had wondered if it may be that, unfortunately google hasn't confirmed yet but I'll keep trying. The odd thing is though that I couldn't see any electrical connections or discharge pipe. It is close to the trap door, however not in best position for maintenance, a couple of foot away. Many thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back