Water under floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently renovating a 1930's semi detached house, having lifted the floorboards and found the footings full of water, there are no leeks from the water pipes I think the water is coming in from the outside, any ideas to how I can get rid of this and to stop it coming back? : :(

Sponsored Links
Parts of Blackpool are known for water under ground floors. This is due to a high water table and there is not much you can do about it.
However it will not be a problem if you ensure that you have plenty of ventilation under the floors. to prevent the moisture vapours from condensing and wetting the floor timbers As a rough guide you should have a 225x150mm airbrick at least every 7 ft of external wall.
Don't forget to ensure that the inner leaf is opened behind the air bricks.
I have dealt with some houses where there was more than 2ft of standing water and they never had a problem with rot .

Thankfuly I have only about 2" of water, I thought it should soak away through a land drain.

Its worth a try but I would still concentrate on the underfloor ventilation aspect because water tables rise and fall.
Best of luck.

Sponsored Links
Out of interest, is there oversite concrete, or a raft, under the floors, or is it just subsoil?

There seems to be a concrete raft under the floorboards, all the dividing walls and sleeper walls are built on a this raft.

I'm in the same boat as you - how did you remedy this and at what cost?

I have just left the water there. When its dry weather the water level goes down. It's just something I have to put up with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back