Watering new turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please clear this up for me. Will shortly be laying new turf and looking through this forum, some of you say not to use a sprinkler, but saturate the lawn with a hose until sodden. The thing is, the turf suppliers I'll be using say as soon as I've laid the turf in the morning, get a sprinkler going on it and leave it on until I go to bed, so it'll be on it for quite a few hours. Other sites such as Rowlawn for example also say a sprinkler is 'adequate.'
Now for a new comer to laying turf such as myself, it can a bit confusing when all these differnt sources of information, including on this forum, say different things.
What is the best method? :confused:

Sponsored Links
as long as its totally soaked thats all that matters, quicker to deluge it with a hose. you are trying to get the roots wet. the trouble with a sprinkler is people se the top wet and assume the roots are too.

Thanks for the advice Thermo. Should I do this just in the morning or evening too?
Also, will I be able to mow it as soon as a week later?

As Thermo says, the key is getting, and keeping the roots wet. The way the weather is for you at the moment, you'll need to water heavily, but timing is not as important as ensuring you are watering enough. Lift a corner to check the roots are getting moisture. After a few days, the turf roots will start to grow, and when you try to lift a corner, you will feel them gripping the ground below. This is a good sign all is well. Worrying signs are brown, or curling edges, which initially will show up next to paving if applicable. Just make sure the roots are wet, and all the turf is getting adequately covered and you'll be fine.

If you are watering correctly, and the turf begins to actively grow, then I don't see a problem with cutting it in the first week or so. Keep the mower on a highish cut for the first few cuts. Better cutting high and often rather than a once a week scalp. Better cutting a bit higher even on established grass in dry conditions.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back