Waterproof mortar DPC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any downside to putting water proofing stuff in the mortar for the DPC course during repointing?

Would there be any harm in using it on all the courses below DPC?

Any recommendations for products?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Is there any downside to putting water proofing stuff in the mortar for the DPC course during repointing?

Would there be any harm in using it on all the courses below DPC?

Any recommendations for products?
It may affect workability, which would be disastrous for a repointing job.

Thanks both.

My main thinking is that if any of the DPC gets broken off whilst chiselling out the knackered old mortar, this waterproofing stuff might offer some backup and comfort.

I'm planning to have the wall above the DPC rendered so don't want any wet bricks behind it. i.e. I don't want moisture rising up above the DPC coarse and then being trapped behind silicone render.

Any ideas?

The force required to push moisture up through a few mm of mortar is less than the force of gravity pushing it down and the rate of evaporation taking it away and a few other sciency related laws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back