Waterproof Switched Fused Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but can you get a waterproof switch fused spur to operate in the garden? I'm wanting to install two water pumps and some low voltage lights in a garden and was going to put them on a ring and have a fused spur for each item. Obviously they would need to be waterproof, being in the garden. If not would the only other way be to run a radial for each item?

Sponsored Links
you can but it is a lot more usual to have the fuse and RCD inside the building, then the cable will be protected it all the way out to the appliance.

You will find the regulations applying to outdoor circuits quite a lot of work.

Was going to run an independent ring for the garden, with a FSU for the lighting and another FSU for the 2 pumps

Sponsored Links
But, if I were going to run an independant cct, I'd run a radial off an RCBO and the above style FSU's as required.

you can get waterproof switched FCUs but be aware that at least the masterseal ones are more like thier sockets than thier switches. In particular switching them on and off requires breaking the seal.

So would it be best running two seperate radials, off FSUs inside the building, one for the lighting one for the pumps?

Terminology might be impairing communications here.

When I refer to a radial, I mean a separate cct run from the main CU, not a spur connected into an existing cct.

The answer has to depend on the total load you envisage being connected to this garden cct. If it will stay happily within the 13A an RCD protected FSU can handle, that's what I'd use on an existing ring cct.

If not, or if for any other reason you wanted to seperate the garden power from the existing ccts, then the RCBO protected radial is the route I would follow.

The two pumps and lighting would easily be within 13A. But wouldn't they need to have seperate fuses to protect them? ie 5A for the lights and 3A for the pumps? Or could it be possible to protect them all from 1 fuse inside the property? Like having lights inside the house with alarm supply fed from the same circuit?

The fusing to protect the lights and the 2 pumps would be located in the individual FSU's that connected each pump and the lights to the cable running into the garden from the RCD protected FSU in the house.

So, for example, this
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A231858&ts=01411&id=83049

connected into the ring. That cable linking these in parallel
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331875&ts=01683&id=10681
with an appropriately rated fuse inserted into which the cables feeding the pumps and lights are connected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back