Waterproofing house front foundation - 1950s building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

May I ask for your help? I have recently moved in into a new house (1950s build) and discovered that there is a line of soil in between my house's external brick wall and a concrete outer. Photos below:

PXL_20221030_162954293.jpg

Or like this:

PXL_20221030_163005527.jpg

It constantly fills with grass/weed. I have attempted to clean on as per the photos but it won't be for long. + I doubt it helps with the moisture inside my house!

Questions:

1) Is this normal? If yes, why it was built in such a way?
2) If not, will it be ok to remove as much soil as I can out of there and fill these holes with cement/concrete?
3) I am also thinking of installing plinth stretcher bricks in there (photo below). Is that a good idea or not so much?
1667169859500.png

I am a complete noob... so, apologies, if these questions are dumb. I hope you can help me to learn a thing or two :)

Sponsored Links
Morning

Ideally the outside ground level, needs to be two bricks lower than the DPC (damp proof course, line of plastic in the brickwork, a brick above your ground level!).

More often than not, over the years concrete is added to paths etc and it gets higher and higher.

If there are no damp problems in the house, then you don't have a problem... I wouldn't use the brick you suggest.

If you want it to look smarter, either bin the concrete and replace with something else, after lowering the ground level... or chop it back from the wall, say 6" (like making a trench) scoop out soil 6" and fill with largish pebbles (not 20mm gravel), this will help stop damp and will look better.

Don't worry about being a noob. (y)

Morning

Ideally the outside ground level, needs to be two bricks lower than the DPC (damp proof course, line of plastic in the brickwork, a brick above your ground level!).

More often than not, over the years concrete is added to paths etc and it gets higher and higher.

If there are no damp problems in the house, then you don't have a problem... I wouldn't use the brick you suggest.

If you want it to look smarter, either bin the concrete and replace with something else, after lowering the ground level... or chop it back from the wall, say 6" (like making a trench) scoop out soil 6" and fill with largish pebbles (not 20mm gravel), this will help stop damp and will look better.

Don't worry about being a noob. (y)
This is as clear as it gets. Thank you so much.

I really like your "look smarter" suggestion. Do you think I can modify it with my plinth stretcher brick idea? i.e.
1) Chop concrete back from the wall (probably remove it completely)
2) Scoop 6" of soil
3) Add a plinth stretcher right next to a wall
4) Fill the rest with large pebbles (while plinth stretchers are slightly above pebbles, level-wise)

Or this is completely futile? (except the visual aspect)

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
You won't gain anything from installing this stretcher plinth except visual as you said.
The plinth won't stop water/damp... that's what the plastic DPC is for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back