Waterproofing plaster board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building an ensuite shower and using tiled walls as the shower sides.

Two walls are plastered block and one is plasterboard.

There is a grey latex material used to precoat walls in wet rooms. Is this good for me too use?

Whats it called?

Does normal tile cement stick to the latex OK ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
maybe you could try a waterproofing membrane made from liquid polymer like laticrete?

It sounds like a tanking/waterproofing system, could be something like "BAL WP1 coating"
This is used to stop water penetration of the plaster/plasterboards in wet areas pre-tiling.

You want something like BAL wp1 or one of the many tanking kits like [url =http://www.tradepricetiles.co.uk/shower-tight-tanking-kit.html]Palace tanking kit[/url].

depends on the tiles your using[/url]

Sponsored Links
I am building an ensuite shower and using tiled walls as the shower sides.
Two walls are plastered block and one is plasterboard.
What size & weight are the tiles you will be laying? I always advise using waterproof tile backer board in wet areas rather than MR plasterboard, its far better & no more expensive by the time you factor in the cost & aggravation of tanking. Unplastered plaster board & liquid tanking will take 32kg/sqm but plaster will only accept 20 kg/sqm & that includes up to 4 kg/sqm for adhesive & grout. If your tiles weigh more than around 17kg/sqm you could have a problem with the plaster.

There is a grey latex material used to precoat walls in wet rooms. Is this good for me too use? Whats it called?
Probably a liquid tanking membrane as PBD posted; you can also use a physical membrane which you stick to the walls. There is a tile weight limit, hence the above question.

Does normal tile cement stick to the latex OK ?
Tile adhesive is compatible with a proprietary tanking membrane but the tile adhesive you use will depend on the type/size/weight of your tiles; tub ready mix is not suitable for tiles much larger than 25cm x 25cm. I would only advise using tanking products designed for tiling or you could have serious problems with tile adhesion.

If you post more info about the type of tiles & tile weight etc, I can advise. Are you tiling the floor?

To correct my post...

You want something like BAL wp1 or one of the many tanking kits like Palace tanking kit.

depends on the tiles your using - to echo richard, it depends on weight and material which was what i was implying - more info please

Again to echo richard tile backer board is better but if you have already fitted the plasterboard then tanking it is your only solution.

oh i see.

its not intended like that, i hope you've seen ive given far more advice than spam - which i think is zero...

most of the time id expect delivery charges would stop someone ordering single consumable products from us - it just stops having to explain what a tanking kit is!

oh i see. its not intended like that, i hope you've seen ive given far more advice than spam
Well of course you have, hence the nod/wink; I can't believe you asked the question, what on earth did you think I meant :confused: beginning to think you might be even more paranoid than me :LOL: It’s good to have a trade supplier contributing but keep schtum & you’ll most likely get away with it if they haven’t spotted it already :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back