WBP Ply for outter skin of shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building a shed (4.5m x 3.5m). I am constructing the skin with 12mm WBP ply onto 2x4 Studs with Celotex and then 9mm WBP ply inside, so I can screw loads of things onto the walls.

I am aware the external 12mm WBP ply is a little water resistant but not water proof (well the outer layer of ply). So, the question is what to put onto it. It don't want to colour it, so my thoughts were

A. An penetrating oil (perhaps Textrol)
B. Waterproof PVA
C. BAL-PRIME APD

I think B. would be the cheapest. I would appreciate your comments.

I will have a 200mm overhand on the roof most of the way around.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
The Wickes range of shed treatment products work well enough, and they are available in clear.
Your 200mm overhang is good - lots of water will be cast away.
Cover any joints in the ply with a covering timber lath.
Prevent splash from the ground - this will reach approx 300mm up in a heavy storm. Guttering could also play a part here.
John :)

200mm over hang, drip edges & guttering taking all water away !

When I have a join on the two sheets of ply I also tend to put a run of clear exterior sealant. Also put a slight bevel (15 degs) to the bottom of the sheet of ply, so the water drips off, as opposed to pulls back up to bottom of ply.

I also usually do a gravel pit around the shed, to aid water run off to soak away as opposed to pool.

Oh, I always treat hidden edges - just in case, only a little more effort, but worth it in 5-10 years time !

Paul.

I'll have a peak at the Wickes stuff...

Sponsored Links
I would have put the thicker ply inside and ripped the 9mm [or even 6mm]into 200mm wide strips and fit like feather edge to overlap slightly giving a run off point for rain, would also look better than flat ply sides.

foxhole,

I can see what you mean, but I'm wanting to build this thing quick !

However, I do see where your coming from in relation to the thicker material on the inside and the thinner on the outside, which should hopefully not have heavy wear !

Paul.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back