WC pan scale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi --can anyone help me with this problem.

At the bottom of my WC pan there is a large amount of white scale.

It maybe because I live in a hard water area.

I've tried scraping and bleach but it seems to be very hard and impervious and I don't want to apply too much force in case I damage the pan.

Is there any proprietary application or chemical which I can apply.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank youin advance

Cheers and regards

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sprits of salts. Ensure you use eye/ hand protection. Remove as much water from the pan as possible. Pore a small amount and expect fumes.

Yes it works - otherwise known an hydrochloric acid. There are other less stinky chemicals based on citric or phosphoric acids which would do the job equally well - try your supermarket shelves!

Limescale remover ds 40 or something its a powder. Mixed with hot water, pour it down your loo and leg it. This stuff eats limescale in minuets.

Sponsored Links
Harpic and other toilet cleaners are also available in a "limescale remover" formula (blue bottle). Use one of these regularly instead of a simple loo cleaner.

I think that the Bleach Blocks that you put in a cisten also seem to break down limescale. I think they are branded Parazone.

You can also get a Limescale Remover block that you drop into the pan. I have used these, I think they were made by Harpic. You leave them overnight. Once you have cleaned away the old scale just use a limescale remover regularly. I have also used them in a badly crusted cistern.

In my own home I use a water softener which prevents limescale.

I am just a householder.

Hi 75Pete, ChrisR,andytheplumber and JohnD.

Thank you all for you replies and advice.

Sorry I took so long getting back to you but my PC has been down (Microsoft SP3 problems).

I tried several plumbing stockists but they didn't have any descaler but eventually I obtained a product called "Kilrock Multi Purpose Descaler".

I put it down the pan and if it does what it says on the container it should do the trick.

Thank you again for your help and interest,

Cheers and best regards,

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back