We seem to have a tap in our radiator!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We need some basic advice in layman's language please. Plumbing is pretty alien to us!

We had new bathrooms installed last year. Part of the work in the main (upstairs) bathroom involved moving a radiator from one wall to another and also installing pipe work under the floor to fit an additional towel rail. We bought a couple of "designer" items, a Zehnder Fassane horizontal radiator and a Zehnder Yucca asymmetric floor to ceiling towel rail.

Frequently, when the CH pump switches on it sounds as if a tap has been turned on inside the radiator. Water sounds as if it is trickling through an empty rad. The rad gets hot all over though, so it can't be full of air, but we always get a small amount of air for a couple of seconds if we bleed it. If we turn the radiator valve off then we tend to get a similar, albeit less noisy trickling from the towel rail instead. Bleeding the towel rail does not result in any air escaping.

Not sure if this is relevant but we also find that one radiator in the hall (below the bathroom) tends to require bleeding on a regular basis, this is probably second in line from the pump outlet. This is a conventional radiator and, as you would expect, only half of it gets hot until we bleed it. We don't get any noise from it though and all the other rads in the house are silent and rarely need bleeding. The bathroom floor is tiled so we obviously can't get to the pipework underneath.

Our bathroom fitter has drained the bathroom rads a couple of times and re-filled very slowly, but we still get the same problem. He's never actually heard the noise because it doesn't happen every time, but he said that it's a common problem with designer rads because they are so thin. I'm not sure if we are being fobbed off!

It's driving us crazy though, especially at 5am in the morning! If anyone can point us in the right direction we would be seriously grateful.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
the running water sound in the radiators, i can only imagine would be air sloshing about in them.

if you always get some air out then it can only come from 3 things off the top of my head

1) air being pulled in by pump start-up or overrun (only with open vent system)
2) a leak (water lost, replaced by air)
3) rusting

have you put corrosion inhibitor in the system after you refilled?
if you haven't then i'd say number 3 is most likely

the build up of air in the downstairs radiator could actually be hydrogen from the radiators rusting from the inside out.
(Iron + H2o changes to Iron oxide + Hydrogen)

make sure you have something like sentinel x100 put in next time you drain down, you might want to check the hall radiator for rusting as well.

Thanks Warmadmax

There's definitely no evidence anywhere of a leak and our plumber put fresh corrosion inhibitor in the system after the drain down (Sentinel sounds very familiar!).

How do I know if I have an open vent system? It's a standard boiler, not a combi - not sure if that helps!

If it is open vent how do I check for air being pulled in by the pump please?

Thanks for your help.

With an open vented system you should have a hot water cylinder and 2 header tanks. did the problem start after you had the work done?

Sponsored Links
Armo,

In that case we definitely have an open vent system. There is a hot water cylinder and two tanks in the loft.

The noise problem only started after we installed the new radiators. The original bathroom radiator was always fine, but we've had to bleed the hall radiator regularly ever since moving into the house 5 years ago.

Thanks.

Taking the hallway rad off and flushing it out with a garden hose should hopefully sort that. As for the other issue has the system been fully vented properly? Are there any other vents in the airing cupboard? Did he bleed the pump? If the vent pipe is pulling in air it is usually due to a blocked cold feed pipe from your feed and expansion tank. This can be checked by holding a magnet where it tee's into your main flow pipe from your boiler, if the magnet sticks then you have a blockage.

Hi

What sort of rad valves are fitted, and have you tried adjusting them to see if this affects the noise?

HTH

Thermostatic valves are fitted to all the rads apart from the two new ones in the bathroom, which have just the standard chrome valves that came with the radiators.

Turning them off pushes the noise from one bathroom rad to the other.

This is probably a dumb question but what would the airing cupboard vents look like please? Similarly what am I looking for if I want to bleed the pump?

Thanks all, I really appreciate the responses.

post a photo of your radiator, pointing out where the vent is.

it sounds like one of those tubular ones that has baffles in it to direct the flow. these can trap air. you might have to look at the manufacturers instruction for how to install, fill and vent it correctly.

Chris,
you can get thermostatic ones for chrome radiators if you wish,

p.s. have you got a thermostatic one in the same room as your room thermostat? you shouldn't.

Chris,
you can get thermostatic ones for chrome radiators if you wish,

p.s. have you got a thermostatic one in the same room as your room thermostat? you shouldn't.

Yes we have but it's left fully open. When we bought the house there was no room thermostat fitted. We fitted one later but don't use the one on the radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back