Weatherproof Junction Boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me a tip on the best way of fixing / sealing a weatherproof box to a wall (externally, but in a covered space). I assume that the simplest thing to do is to coat the screw that fixes the box to the wall with a silicon sealant. Is that correct? Is there any particular sealant to use? Any other ways of doing this?

Thanks
Ian

Sponsored Links
What are you wanting to do?

Is the box going to be installed to house a joint?

What size and sort of box are you wanting to use?

I always put a ring of silicone sealant around the screw hole on the outside of the box before screwing to the wall. Than for good measure I add a dollop on the screw. Works for me.

Take the sealing washer off of a hex self drilling sheet roofing screw......or use that screw.

p1219348_s.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks Qedelec.

RF Lighting. The boxes are (1) to reduce an armoured cable to a 1.5mm flex and (2) seperately mount a wireless switching box which will take in 3 x 1.5mm flex through w/proof glands. All will be sited externally under a plywood and tarp cover, but obviously be subject to damp. All boxes are IP66 rated.

And drill a drain hole in the bottom of the box, just in case there is any ingress. Many boxes have a handy area for this marked "drain".

Bit of a giveaway, really.

I was thinking if you use a gewiss box the screw holes are sealed from the innards of the box when the lid is on, so you do not need to add any sealant

A tight screw will seal its self well enough to the back of the box anyway. Providing you drill a drain hole there should be no problems.

Many sizes of gewiss box come with a tight fitting cover to go over the raised screw holes internal to the enclosure. Particularly 're-badged' gewiss boxes such as the 'primeline' range.

the drain hole is the most important bit. Stopping a small ammount water getting in is virtually impossible and you really don't want to get into the siuation where once water gets in it never gets out.

I had condensation in one of mine, drilled 2 tiny holes in the bottom, no problem since

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back