Web hosting with web-mania.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a hosting with them.

It allows up to five domains to be hosted but there is only ONE server file.

I have only just got round to trying to upload single page web sites.

It seems using CuteFTP that we are connecting to each domain name but in reality there is only one file list. Any one shown as an index is accessed from any domain name.

What do I do to enable any site to be accessed individually?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony,

You should be able to manage your domain names to point at different locations on the server.

For example I use hosted as my provider and under the control panel that I can log in to to manage my domain names and hosting space I get an option to set the root location for the domain name. Each domain name has a wizard style way of setting it up with one stage asking what location to put the files relative to the root hosting.

So in your case I could create 5 separate directories on the server and point a different domain name at each directory each having a separate index file.

How easy this will be will depend what interface web mania provide for managing you domains and hosting and how friendly it is to use.

Make any sense?

Agile said:
It allows up to five domains to be hosted but there is only ONE server file.

Tony

Olli, I expect there is some way but they dont seem to have anything very wizard and I dont know the answer. I think I need to create folders each containing its own index file. trouble is i dont know what to call it.

I have also asked my friend but he does not seem to know either!

Breezer's link to the host email help is pretty useless as I have sent two email over last three days and neither has been answered! Nor do their little help menus tell me either. Their live help fellow last night did not seem to know either!

I can answer any boiler or heating question so why are simple computer questions so difficult to get answers to? If the ISP does not know then who else will! Perhaps Softus will tell me after has has added a © ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony maybe you should consider a new ISP....good service and competence can be in short supply in our game too ;)

The trouble is that this ISP seems to have the best deal for what I want!

It will host up to FIVE domains with 500MB memory space and 12 GB per month data transfer all for £24.99 + vat per annum.

Particularly it will do a global email forward whereas many only transfer five email names.

For small useage I cannot find anything better!

Just a pity I cannot get it to work!

They also have a 24 hr live chat help!

Trouble is the guy last night did not know what I should do!

Tony

Yeah what you want to do sounds straight forward....5 different aliases pointed at five seperate folders containing five seperate index files.

The price is good but it's at the expense of decent technical support.

The blurb on the site reads "Our web hosting package allows you to host 5 domains on the same hosting account, ideal if you have .com .net .co.uk etc of the same domain name etc."

The above blurb doesn't say that it allows you to run 5 domains to 5 different web sites...is this what you are trying to do ?

To me this could mean that I can have mydomain.com, mydomain.co.uk, mydomain.biz, mydomain.net and mydomain.tv pointed at a single web site.

wanleg said:
The above blurb doesn't say that it allows you to run 5 domains to 5 different web sites...is this what you are trying to do ?

Yes, thats what I need to do!

Do you think this is a clever way of making me think it will do what I need when it doesn't ?

To a computer novice like me its obvious that if I have five domains then I need five different web sites!

What would be the point of many different domains and only one web site?

Now if the solution is folders then what should I name them so a request from domain 2 gets to the folder with the domain 2 index page?

Tony

Do you think this is a clever way of making me think it will do what I need when it doesn't ?

I don't think it's there to deliberately trick people, companies will quote often want to point more than one domain to a single website...these are just my thoughts by the way, I would suggest trying to get confirmation from the web-mania.

What would be the point of many different domains and only one web site?

You could have domains plumbing.co.uk, plumbing.com, yourcompanyname.co.uk, yourcompanyname.com, plumber.co.uk pointed at a single website.....when people try adhoc website domains they won't always choose the only one pointed at your website....I guess it's a way of capturing a wider audience and making sure anything plumbing related arrives at your site not a competitors. It can also give the impression that you are a much bigger company.

Now if the solution is folders then what should I name them so a request from domain 2 gets to the folder with the domain 2 index page?

I think you can call them whatever you want....but as an earlier post said you must be able to point your domain at the relevant folder using the configuration pages provided by web-mania. I think you first need to confirm with web-mania that you can do what you want to do. £24.99 per annum for one website is cheap let alone 5 separate sites.

wanleg said:
To me this could mean that I can have mydomain.com, mydomain.co.uk, mydomain.biz, mydomain.net and mydomain.tv pointed at a single web site.

Tony

I think this is what you have bought into.

If they offer to point your domains to different folders then just use the domain name as your folder name e.g. really-agile.com foldername really-agile. If they can't do this for you then one possible solution is to create your index page as a sort of menu to your "areas of business" and point all the domains names at it - not ideal but a work around.

:D

Tony,

I took this off the website....looks like you might have to use subdomains for the pointing as oppose to top level domains that you want to use....wouldn't harm to go into the settings though to check in case you can use the top level domains you want.

"Subdomains
Subdomains are a great way to create shortened web addresses, for example:

http://www.domain.com/folder1/folders2 could become
http://name.domain.com/

You can create as many subdomains as you like in the control panel, they are generated in real time.

When creating the subdomain all you have to do is create a folder in your web space, which you can do via ftp, then go to the subdomains section in the control panel and you will be able to map a subdomain onto the directory you have created. You should create the directory you want to map it to first.

If you run into any difficulties just contact the live support, who will be able to assist you further. "

Tony PM me with the details....user, password, domains etc...if you want and I will have a look.....you have helped with some of my problems more than once. :)

I emailed Webmania and received this reply

"Hello,

You can add any website for example .com.co.uk.net as an addon domain to your main domain

Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have any further queries.

Kind regards

Steve
Web-mania Support Team."

I'm glad that's cleared that up. :LOL:

I still think it should be possible but its just that I dont know how!

There is one file list and all domains point to it. I have created two folders with the names domain1.com and domain2.com and inside each folder is a different file called index.hml

That does not work properly as it brings up only one index file for either domain name. Sometimes it just brings up the file list in which case clicking on the folder brings up the respective page.

I have at last received a reply from their technical help saying:-

"""We are sorry for the delay, we have checked your all account and fount that your account are not map the folder, Please provide me domain name and folder name, so that we can map your account."""

Now that, if one ignores the dislexia of the writer which is a common problem with clever computer people, indicates that I can do what I need as long as the "account is mapped" ! Even so I have sent them and am now waiting!

There seems to be an anomality, they have all the five domains shown on their system so I dont see why he is asking again, unless to bide time?

Does anyone know exactly what "mapping" means in this case?

Should I have done something?

Who was responsible for this "mapping"?

Any ideas?

Tony

The mapping means pointing the relevant domain at the relevant folder containing the relevant index file.

You would be responsible for the mapping.

I mentioned earlier a control panel you should have a look at...

When creating the subdomain all you have to do is create a folder in your web space, which you can do via ftp, then go to the subdomains section in the control panel and you will be able to map a subdomain onto the directory you have created. You should create the directory you want to map it to first.

I know the above refers to subdomains and you want to use domains but you probably use the same control panel for both.

Sponsored Links
Back