website links opinion

B

breezer

as some may know I have a website, i also have a links page, at the bottom of this page it clearly says

"we are not accpeting anymore links" (but on my site its spelt right)

It really bugs me when people send in things like we have like your site......................... please link back to us.

what part of no more links do they not understand
does any one else have this problem?

(discuss)

Sponsored Links
I do Breezer. Have the same problem: hey, we have linked our site to yours, you are going to profit for more traffic!

They always receive an email back from me: remove link immediately. You have 7 days to conform or we will send you an invoice of £ 1,000,00 (ex VAT) for ignoring our request. Build up your own traffic, don't use our website for it!
Works everytime ;) (Received one today from Austria, what do I need in Austria??)

OOI, what's wrong with simply ignoring all such requests, and possibly benefiting from the fact that someone, somewhere, has kindly put a link to your website on theirs?

Because dear BAS, such websites only contain links and will get your rating and ranking on search engines down!
And we didn't work that hard ourselves to get our site high up to have that eliminated by people jumping on the band wagon cause they think they know about webmarketing!
We decide ourselves who can link to our site and will select only those that have value for us and our customers and vice versa
OK, rant over, but it is and always will be one of my peeves.

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
Because dear BAS, such websites only contain links and will get your rating and ranking on search engines down!
OK - I wasn't aware of that.

We decide ourselves who can link to our site and will select only those that have value for us and our customers and vice versa
Is there any legal basis on which you can prevent someone from putting your URL on their website?

ban-all-sheds said:
WoodYouLike said:
Is there any legal basis on which you can prevent someone from putting your URL on their website?
No I don't think so. You can only try to prevent certain site linking to yours. But that is also the beauty of the Internet: no one can control it (yeah, power to the people ;))

ban-all-sheds said:
WoodYouLike said:
OK - I wasn't aware of that.
Just to add to this: I just checked this Austrian website Alexa's ranking (tells you how many visitors on average they have: the lower the number the more the site is visited and the higher it is ranked in search engines.)
Theirs is 1.374.000
Mine is: 314.800

Links from 'lower' sites can have a disastrous effect on well scoring website without you having an influence, so yes I will do everything to 'protect' my own hard work 'getting up there'

sorry for the delay in the reply.

I dont mind people linking to my site its when they want one back that i object to, i would not mind if I asked them, but my site does say no more links required

how do you check to make sure someone hasnt linked to yours, and how do you check your rating?

I actualy don't agree with what WoodYouLike says (sorry Karen)

I dont see it as a "rating" as such in that i dont know of any "rating tables" that can be looked at to see where you are

if you want to judge a rating by where it appears in google then that's fine, but to be honest i don't care who links to my site, what i do care about is what my site links to, I dont see the point of having my site linking to say a block drive way company since it has nothing to do with the subject my site is about,

so to anwser your questions, i dont care who links to my site, and i dont worry aout a "rating"

I think it used to be true that to get to page 1 in google you needed to have lots of links, but not any more you dont

Thermo said:
how do you check to make sure someone hasnt linked to yours, and how do you check your rating?
Example: in google search bar type link://www.diynot.com/forums/ (or in any other search engine) and that will show the links to your site.

As for rating, there are several tools you can add to your browser (like google's page rank which is a bit out-dated and as Breezer says not very relevant any more, or, more important a tool Alexa http://www.alexa.com/data/details/main?q=&url=www.diynot.com)

And Breezer, you don't have to agree with me ;) But we are in a rather competitive market and I do care (very much so) about the results my website gets on the search engine. So any link from a site I didn't ask for I will protest against. Already 45% of our sales are generated from the website (and that is a growing trend), not online sales, but customers visit our website first and then decide we're the company for them and come to our showroom ;)) (even if they have to drive from 120 mile away - and that is not a lie!)

WoodYouLIike, you missunderstand, the web is very very useful, i agree with you in what you say regarding people see the site, like what they see and drive umpteen miles.

I just dont agree with stats, particularly ones provided by a 3rd party, all webstats do (and it counters for that matter) is show how many times the page in question was looked at, what really counts in a site like yours is as you say how many people come through your door and buy something

breezer said:
I just dont agree with stats, particularly ones provided by a 3rd party, all webstats do (and it counters for that matter) is show how many times the page in question was looked at, what really counts in a site like yours is as you say how many people come through your door and buy something
Ok, understand now. But on the other hand the hit counter I use is a real help in our 'quest' for search engine results (statcounter ). It not only shows me how many visitors we have a day, or how many (and which) pages they look at, but also and here is the important thing: what phrases/words they used in their search and on which page and number on the search engine results they found our websites. It enables me to constantly adjust the sites (which is becoming a great hobby ;)
And..... the statcounter is free (and I just love freebies !)

does't your web host provide the same info, mine do.
but again its stats, ican make your counter go up if you like, but it wont do you any good, other than make the stats look bigger.

As i said its people walking through the door that you need, not stats

breezer said:
As i said its people walking through the door that you need, not stats
Oh I agree with that. And when they walk through the door we need them to buy ;)
I use the statcounter as one of the marketing tools we have, not for the stats persee. (Like with every tool, most are very handy, but in the end it matters what you do with it ;))

Sponsored Links
Back