Weeds on drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again

May have posted on this before but so long ago can't recall now.

Gist is need to remove nasty and resistant weeds from middle section of drive. I've used the most powerful weedkiller I can find but weeds always seem to come back. I normally:

• Apply weedkiller
  • Remove dead weeds and roots
  • Remove surrounding soil
I've attached pictures to show condition following removal of dead weeds. In addition to pebbles you will see copious amount of soil left. Is it necessary to remove all this as well? I wonder as neighbour has exactly same design and never gets a single weed with no maintenance!!

Thanks for your time.

IMG_0348.JPG IMG_0349.JPG IMG_0350.JPG

Sponsored Links
I use grit salt, the sort of stuff you put down in winter. I think most effective weedkillers have been banned from Joe Public's grasp now.

Comes in handy 20kg bags & never fails to raise an eyebrow when purchased in August.

I spread it out straight from a bucket & brush it into any nooks & crannies. If you leave it a few days until it rains it goes a long way to killing 'the green'.

Thanks. I was also querying the amount of soil in this section of the drive. Would that have built up over the years and therefore supporting the weeds? Would it be beneficial to remove this?

Yes, remove the soil.
Weed seeds blow in. They will gow even without soil, to some extent. Strength of weedkiller doesn't really matter as more seeds will blow in eventually.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks. I think there was grass there initially and previous owner must have only done minimal work to remove this before adding pebbles!

Sorry have one last question if I may. Once majority of the soil has been cleared there are the crumbling remnants of the concrete previously laid (soil coloured). Can I just add the grit to this or would I need to clean away the last vestiges of the soil before proceeding?

Hope these pictures help.

IMG_0351.JPG IMG_0352.JPG

Weeds grow in a tiny amount of soil

My concrete drive originally was two tracks in concrete with either grass or large stones in the centre run.
The previous owner filled the gap with Tarmac .

My neighbour fitted paving slabs

Thanks. Take your point and will do whatever to keep weeds at bay. However neighbour has small stones on centre run and never had a single weed as far as I could observe.

I would sweep it out.
Don't add grit. Just add stones. The bigger the better.

Hi

Update

Have started digging out stones and soil. I've reached the stage now where the soil is very compact and mixed with original gravel. I've been digging out as much as I can but it seems to be an endless task. I assumed I get down to original concrete fairly quickly but not case.

I've updated photos below. Would you say I need to physically remove all the existing soil and gravel or can I get away with putting new stones on this as it is?

Many thanksIMG_0386.JPG IMG_0385.JPG IMG_0384.JPG IMG_0383.JPG

No good asking her. She doesn't know what day it is. Now divorced so job done by ex husband. Get your drift though. Are you saying that weed membrane will negate need to keep digging??

Thanks

No good asking her. She doesn't know what day it is. Now divorced so job done by ex husband. Get your drift though. Are you saying that weed membrane will negate need to keep digging??

Thanks
we had it in the centre of our drive that was not ran over and was only covered by a couple of inches of chippings. As dirt washes into it over the years the weed seeds that blow in started to germinate but can be delt with or yank the membrane up and re lay as theres not too much weight on top .
litl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back